NMSU Equestrian Team Continues to Fight

Salina Madrid, Cultural Editor

A few months ago, the New Mexico State Equestrian team was told that this would be their last season, as NMSU would not fund the team anymore.

However, after a mass public outcry, and a great deal of lobbying my supporters and athletes alike, the team was given one more year of operation with University money.

“Right now the team is working on a lot of fundraising ideas to raise money so that the program can continue next year,” said Kimmy Ferrante, a member of the Equestrian team.

The decision for the team to be eliminated was due to budget cuts to the University that also carried with over 37 full time jobs being dissolved as well. According to NMSU President Garrey Carruthers, cutting the program will save nearly $417,000.

The University has recognized that if the team can fund themselves through private donations or some other kind of monetary solution, they will be able to continue their season beyond this school year.

“We currently have a ‘Save NMSU Equestrian’ go fund me page and are going to do different fundraisers, even one with Texas Roadhouse,” said Ferrante.

The group thus far has raised $5,595 just on their Go Fund me account alone and have said that they will continue to do whatever they can to save this program.

Carruthers has said that the final season of school funding would in all fairness be the best option for the team “This final season will give them an opportunity to compete and to seek other opportunities if they choose.”

Members of the team are thankful for another year and one last chance. The team will continue to seek donations and funds to keep an Equestrian Team at NMSU. They believe that it is possible for them to become self-sustainable.

NMSU decided that they will continue to honor all 15 of the equestrian scholar hips given throughout the remainder of the students’ academic career.

“We’re so grateful for all the support that we have received from the community this far and cant wait to get started with competition season,” said Ferrante. “This experience has truly helped us bond together as a team and the Aggie Spirit is stronger than ever.”

For more information and to help save the NMSU Equestrian Team, log on to their Go Fund me account at https://www.gofundme.com/2ebczx6s or call (575)-646-4795.