Will You Be A Part Of the Eight Percent?

Jianna Vasquez, Cultural Editor

A New Year means new goals and it is no surprise that for many the number one New Year’s resolution is losing those extra pounds that they have probably gained over the winter break.

Finding time to exercise in college may seem impossible between classes, homework and a social life; not to mention finding some time in there to get some sleep. Setting a New Year’s resolution of staying fit and being active may not come easy. However, the Activity Center at NMSU is one option in helping people stay fit, and it might be easier you may think—and convenient.

According to Forbes Magazine, 92 percent of people fail at achieving their New Year’s resolution. The NMSU Activity Center is here to help students be part of the eight percent of people who accomplish their goals.

“It’s convenient [the Activity Center] because it’s walking distance from my classes so I don’t have to go too far to use it,” said Journalism major, Adrian Ortegon.

The Activity Center has programs and facilities to promote a healthy lifestyle for students. NMSU’s Activity Center offers a variety of physical activities including aquatics, intramural sports, group fitness, personal training, outdoor recreation and instructional classes.

The Activity Center offers AggieFit memberships to all NMSU students as well. The membership gives access to facilities including: the Activity Center, Aquatic Center, South Campus Fitness Center and the Corbett Fitness Center, along with access to all the wellness programs that are available.

Undergraduate students who are taking 12 or more credit hours and graduate students who are taking more than nine hours do not have a membership fee. They just need to show their Aggie I.D upon entering the Activity Center. However, students who are taking fewer credit hours and NMSU staff members can still get a membership for a small fee. To get a membership you can visit the wellness office in room 101 located in the Activity Center.

“Staying fit in college is very important,” said Early Childhood Education major, Jessica Montes. “It helps you release stress while also keeping you healthy which can lead to having longer -lasting energy throughout the day.”

AggieFit is one solution to a student achieving their New Year’s resolution of losing those extra pounds. AggieFit is hosting the “Healthy U Challenge.” The event is a friendly seven-week competition that is open to NMSU students, staff, and faculty that are AggieFit members. Participants will have weekly weigh-ins, education materials, and fitness tips to help them become healthy and stay fit.

Whether it’s using the weight room, cardio room, climbing the 25-ft rock wall, playing basketball or running on the indoor track the activity center has something that can help members be a part of the eight percent who stay fit and achieve their New Year’s resolution.

For more information about the activity center and AggieFit memberships you can call (575)646-2885