Delta Gamma presents Anchor Slam

Jianna Vasquez, Cultural Editor

NMSU’s Delta Gamma held their twelfth annual anchor slam on Saturday, February 18. The sorority hosts the event each year to raise awareness for the visually impaired. Anchor Slam, is a three on three basketball tournament hosted at the NMSU Activity Center.

The foundation reaches out to members of the community to participate in Anchor Slam, which is their biggest event of the spring semester. The sorority tabled all week to raise donations and sign-up NMSU students for the basketball tournament.

The half-court basketball game was played by two teams of three players each and the first team to score twenty points or the team that scored the most points in the 15 minutes won the game. The clock ran continuously for all games.

The event lasts the whole day and is equipped with a Dj.

“We keep the good vibes going throughout the tournament,” said Vice President, Molly Olson. The cost to participate in the Anchor Slam is $10 per player and $20 if the player wants a shirt. All proceeds from this tournament will go to Delta Gamma’s philanthropy: Service for Sight and The New Mexico school for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Alamogordo. (NMSBVI)

Service for sight has been the sorority’s philanthropic mission since 1936. Delta Gamma has given over $2,800,000 in Service for sight grants to organizations and schools that share the foundations mission: to promote sight preservation and assistance to children and adults who are blind or visually impaired.

“Through service for sight we are able to provide blind and visually impaired children and adults with opportunities and skills to lead a full life,” said Olson.

Service for Sight is the direct support system for four schools that were founded by Delta Gamma for the visually impaired which includes NMSBV.

Delta Gamma visits NMSBV in Alamogordo, New Mexico often.

“It’s cool that it’s so close to home because we get to go and work hands on with them,” said Delta Gammas Director of fundraising, Marin Macedo.

The foundation visit NMSBV to help them with several events during the school year including an annual Halloween carnival and helping the students get ready for their prom.

“It’s nice to be a part of an organization that helps people,” said Macedo.

In addition to Service for Sight, Delta Gamma also supports “Service for Sight: Joining Forces.” Delta Gamma has partnered up with the Department of Defense, Veteran Administration, and other non-profits that work to help visually impaired men and women who served or are serving in the Armed Forces.

According to Delta Gamma, 13-20 percent of Armed Force members who are wounded in battle experience eye trauma or vision impairment. The foundation works to provide aid through their philanthropic mission of Service for Sight.

Members of Delta Gamma will continue to live by the foundations motto, “Do good.”

“The Delta Gamma foundation fosters lifetime enrichment for members, promotes Service for Sight and partners with the Fraternity to endure the future of our sisterhood.”

For any information on Delta Gamma or Service for Sight you can contact NMSU’s chapter at [email protected]