Broadcasters Club

snoadmin

By: Isaiah Silva

NMSU has a lot to offer. It is a unique university where many determine what they want to do with their lives. There is one thing that NMSU offers that many universities don’t – a student-run, live newscast.

News 22 is a legitimate news broadcast that is completely student-ran. There are some professionals that help with the functions for the newscast, but for the most part, students run it. There are students running everything from the production to the cameras, and the on-screen talent.

The students involved and more gather into what is called the Broadcasters Club.

“Really, we’re just kind of a loose group of students that try to meet with professionals in broadcast news, so; radio, television, multimedia, and stuff like that,” Rebekah Baca, Broadcasters Club President said.

A big thing that the Broadcasters Club does is bringing in guest speakers that share their experiences in broadcast journalism with students and provide an opportunity for networking.

“We really just want to prepare ourselves for when we get ready to graduate and meet new people, It’s really great because our professors that are involved in the club, they have a really good network of past students that have done a lot with their careers and that’s mainly where we get our guests from,” Baca said. “So, it’s really great to see people that have gone through this program, been a part of Broadcasters Club and News 22 and have gotten really far.”

In addition to networking, the club also has a lot of fun together. They, like many other organizations, do philanthropy events and take trips to conferences. Earlier this year, the club took a trip to Salt Lake City, Utah.

“We went to Salt Lake City this year to the Society of Professional Journalists regional conference. They got to meet professionals from around the country, they got to tour a television station in Salt Lake City, and some students had their resumes and portfolios reviewed by professionals,” Dr. Roger Mellen, advisor for the Broadcasters Club, said.

Above everything else, being in the club brings friendships. Many of the students are studying the same thing, so they all have a lot in common.

“I know for a fact, a lot of the people, a lot of the students that I’m currently working with are people that I’m going to be able to count on for a long time, even after I graduate,” Baca said.

If you’re considering Journalism as a career field, the Broadcasters Club highly encourages you to join. They are welcoming to all facets of journalism.

“Even if you’re mainly photography, or print, or whatever, just the people you meet here, even just the students are really great,” Baca said.

Dr. Mellen also echoed what Rebekah had to say.

“Anybody interested in broadcast should come and meet some of the interesting guests we have,” Mellen said.

This coming year Nick Miller and Hugo Perez will advise the Broadcaster’s Club. The club meets every other Tuesday at 7:15 in Milton Hall.