Corbett Center celebrates 50th anniversary

Corbett+Center+Student+Union+circa+1970%2C+courtesy+of+Branson+Library+Archives.+

Corbett Center Student Union circa 1970, courtesy of Branson Library Archives.

Tuesday marked Corbett Center Student Union’s 50th year at New Mexico State University. To celebrate, Crimson Kickoff hosted a birthday party Tuesday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Corbett Center Aggie Lounge, games and food were provided.  

Michelle Rogers, a program specialist for Corbett, oversaw the event and explained the process of creating it.  

“I planned all my events for this semester during the summer, including this one,” Rogers said. “When I was brainstorming, I asked my student employees if they thought an elementary school carnival style party would be fun, so we have a cake walk, hula hoops, popcorn, and duck ponds.”  

Rogers also included her favorite part of Corbett.  

“I really like the second floor and how they dedicated it to student study space. I read an article that came out when Corbett was first built and they called it ‘the Livingroom of Campus’ and I thought that was really cool,” Rogers said.  

Rogers then finished with her thoughts on why Corbett is beneficial for students.  

“I think Corbett is students’ home away from home,” Rogers said. “They have their food here, student services, study space. It really has everything they need here in this building.”  

Construction for Corbett began in the year 1968 and was originally scheduled for completion in September. W.C. Kruger and Associates, an architect company hired to supervise several projects that year, oversaw Corbett’s construction.  

At the time, it was made to replace Milton Student Center as the main student services building. In turn, Milton would house the Journalism and Mass Communications Department. 

Corbett was originally planned to house accommodations such as food services, a barber shop and a bookstore, unlike the Corbett Center known today. In addition, the building would be large enough to house many students, maxing out at about 100,100 square feet. 

By September 27, 1968, Corbett had finished construction and proceeded to host a dedication ceremony in honor of the NMSU President at the time, Dr. Roger B. Corbett. 

Fifty years later, Corbett’s facilities are still being utilized by students to relax, study and engage in campus activities. It also offers students the ability to participate in work-study. 

Shelby Johnson, an employee at the information desk in Corbett Student Union, talked about her job and why she enjoys it.  

“I went on Aggie Career Manager and found the position,” Johnson said. “I like that I could potentially do homework and that I could interact with students. Previously, I was an orientation leader so being able to still interact with students that I met over the summer and other students is really appealing to me.” 

Johnson also went on to explain her favorite part of Corbett.  

“I love getting to see the students that I met over the summer. All the freshmen come in and they remember who I am. We’ll then continue to talk and interact on that level,” said Johnson. “And then I also get to help people and point them in the right direction. It’s very fulfilling.”  

Other students also expressed their appreciation of Corbett.  

Lema Vasquez, a Senior studying art at NMSU added her thoughts on the building.  

“I like that it’s sometimes quiet when I do my homework,” Vasquez said. “There’s not a lot of people, so you can come do whatever you want.” 

Sarah Ruvalcaba, a Senior studying Civil Engineering, added her own opinion of Corbett. “My favorite place to go in Corbett is the food court because I love getting Chick-Fil-A and their sushi is amazing.”