Finding the three best study spots on NMSU’s campus

NMSU+students+are+finding+places+on+campus+that+enable+them+to+get+their+school+work+done.+

NMSU students are finding places on campus that enable them to get their school work done.

With the sun still shining in full summer-mode, the art of studying becomes a dreadful necessity.  Whether it’s arguing a thesis, solving the equation or preparing an oral presentation, it’s all easier said than done when you’re not in the right environment. 

To help students narrow their search at locating the right spot to study at before they get the chance to explore New Mexico State University on their own, mentioned are a few of the places on campus that are the perfect go-to place when they need a distraction free zone.

The obvious choice would be the library. NMSU has two libraries on campus that students can choose from, Branson Hall Library and Zuhl Library.

Although both are great choices, Branson Hall Library is number one on the list for being an ideal study area. Branson is open from 12 p.m. – 10 p.m. on Sunday, 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. Monday – Thursday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Friday and 12 p.m. – 6 p.m. on Saturday.

It is positioned in a more central location of campus and isn’t as populated. Cheyenne Kimmick, a senior at New Mexico State University, stated, “I like studying at Branson on one of the higher levels because I like that I can look out the windows and see the campus. It helps me draw motivation to do my work.”

However, Zuhl Library isn’t completely out of the running of being a good spot either. Although the first level is a little noisier than preferred, the second and third levels of Zuhl are quieter and make studying easier.

Zuhl is also more available being open from 10 a.m. – 2 a.m. on Sunday, 7:30 a.m. – 2 a.m. Monday – Thursday, 7:30 a.m. – 8p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Saturday.

On the second floor there is an area that is known as the, “Quiet Zone,” so if the student is someone who can’t be around noise, the second level is somewhere they might want to spend their time when it comes to hitting the books. Stephen Montoya, a nursing student stated, “I like to study at Zuhl because it is convenient. I have my printing available there and because it stays open late, it helps when I’m planning my schedule.”

Another place on campus that is great for going to when they need to get things taken care of is the second floor in Corbett Center Student Union. Corbett is open 6 a.m. – 12 a.m., Monday – Thursday, 6 a.m. – 10 p.m., Friday, 9 a.m. – 10 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. – 12 a.m. on Sunday.

On the first level of Corbett Center is a food court that is convenient if students need to take a break and get some brain food.

The chatter from the first floor in Corbett isn’t completely tuned out, so if they are someone who doesn’t like complete silence when working, it is a happy medium. Also located on the second level is Pete’s Place Computer Lab, RM 214, which is open 8 a.m. – 12 a.m. Monday through Friday or 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. on the weekends.

It comes in handy as a place to go to if the student is studying and suddenly realize their computer is about to die and they forgot their charger in their dorm room or at home.

Another neat feature of studying in Corbett Center, students are able to rent out rooms to study in on the second level if they want to be completely secluded from other students on campus. Nataly Castellini, a Building Manager at Corbett Center stated, “As long as the student has a valid Aggie ID card, they are able to check out the study rooms.

They are able to check them out for two-hour periods, however, if no one is waiting for a room, their time can be extended.” Every room has a flat screen tv, HDMI cables and students can write on the windows with dry erase markers to help students with their studying. This is free to full time students registered at the main campus.

Although, the college campus is full of hidden and not so hidden places that were created for students for going to when they need to get things done, sometimes sitting at the tables in the grass behind Milton Hall, out on the courtyard near O’Donnell Hall, or at the park by the horseshoe is a more ideal place.

However, it isn’t until students go out to explore the campus for themselves when they will find the right environment for them to study at to be the most successful they can be at New Mexico State University.