Las Cruces hearing center debuts artificial intelligence hearing aids in state

AI hearing aids are now available in Las Cruces.

Starting next Monday, The Hear on Earth Hearing Care Center, located off Telshor, will be the only Audibel certified clinic in New Mexico to begin selling Via AI, a hearing aid run by artificial intelligence.

The Via AI will be a hearing aid that will contain features that a normal one wouldn’t. Consequently, it will be the first of its kind to track brain and physical activity, which will allow it to act as a Fitbit by providing makeshift “scores” for activity that is performed within the day. Each “score” is divided into sections labeled Body, Brain, and Thrive Wellness.

Debbi Johnson, owner of Hear on Earth, said these hearing aids are great for people who are active.

“Before, hearing aids were used to amplify different frequencies to help hear better,” Johnson said. “But, now they’ve combined it with a device that can play music and track your steps.”

“It also pays attention to different situations you’re in and how active you are,” Johnson said. “The more we engage in conversation with different people, the healthier our brain stays. So besides tracking steps and hearing, it will tell you a brain score for the day that concerns how much you interacted and been in different situations.”

Johnson also went on to explain other benefits with the Via AI. For instance, it contains a built-in translator. “If someone were to talk in Spanish to your phone, you would hear it in English with the hearing aid,” Johnson said.

Another feature that’s included could be considered an asset toward the device’s more elderly customers.

“If the person were too fall, the hearing aid will text a loved one in case they needed help,” Johnson said.

Not only does the Via AI contain helpful attributes, but it also provides a more convenient way for reprogramming by allowing the person to fix their device without having to pay the office a visit.

“Before, we would program an individual’s hearing aid on the computer, so if the device isn’t working you would have to come in, so we could reprogram it,” explained Johnson. “But, this will be Starkey’s first hearing aid that will have remote programming, where we will do some small things from a remote location.”

Being the only office in New Mexico to sell Via AI, Johnson went on to express her thoughts on being the seller of the new device.

“We’re excited because it’s such a neat technology and to be able to offer it to our patients in Las Cruces is a huge deal.”

After going to Eden Prairie, Minnesota, Johnson will have been trained in the new software that comes with the Via AI.

“I’m hoping it will help the community hear better and help them take advantage of the newest technology out there,” Johnson said.

Devices became available for purchase this morning.

Lauren Roman, Staff Writer

Lauren Roman is a sophomore at NMSU, currently working towards a bachelor’s degree in Creative Media. She was born and raised in Las Cruces, New Mexico...