NMSU sponsored Western Pecan Growers Conference educates producers worldwide

NMSU Photo

NMSU Photo

The Western Pecan Growers Conference commenced March 1–3 in Las Cruces at the Hotel Encanto near the Mesilla Valley Mall. The 54th anniversary of the association represents western pecan growing states such as New Mexico, Texas, California and Arizona.   

Not limited in its population, the conference hosted guests and growers from Australia and South Africa.  

The conference showcased the latest pecan innovations and technology, along with a panel of educated speakers and even a Pecan Fantasy Food Contest.  

John White, Director of the Western Pecan Growers Association, said over 500 people attended, with over 100 booths. It featured presentations on irrigation, Weevil worries, the potential pecan market and tariffs in India, and a banquet and award ceremony. The event also hosted a trade portion to its growers and participants. 

“All people like it, because it’s a friendly affair,” White said.  

All Western Pecan Growers Association members received a Pecan Southern Magazine, Pacific Nut Producer and Georgia Pecan Grower magazines according to the WPGA website. 

The event focused on education and growth of the pecan industry. With modern discoveries evolving our knowledge of the pecan, emphasis on health benefits was implemented. Pecans have been recently found to have benefits such as a reduction of risk of heart attack and are considered one of the healthiest nuts according to White.  

Many pecan associations and members of the federal market have been donating 3 cents per pound to help the market development 

Richard Heerema, New Mexico State University extension pecan specialist, organized the educational events portion March 2 and 3. NMSU had 16 presentations, according to the NMSU news center 

NMSU Graduate Student Curt Pierce presented a student research project on drip irrigation studies on Monday March 2. 

New Mexico’s first pecan trees were planted in 1913 in Mesilla Valley by Fabian Garcia, who was the director of the New Mexico Agricultural Experiment Station. Some of these trees still stand at NMSU’s Fabian Garcia Horticultural Science Center, according to the NMSU College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences website.  

The Annual Pecan Food Fantasy Contest, first implemented by Karin Davidson, had just shy of 200 entries. Adult and adolescent competitors received monetary prizes, with the top ten contestant’s food being placed on auction at the banquet.  

The auction raised over $33,000 in funds for the scholarships for prospective agricultural students going into the pecan field according to White. 

WPGA offers a scholarship for students pursuing post-secondary education advancing the interests of the pecan industry, with preference given to agricultural related degrees, according to their website. The scholarship ranges from $500-$2,500. Information on applying for this scholarship can be found on the WPGA website.

Information on past conferences and panelists can be found on the WPGA website at westernpecan.org