William H. Macy visits New Mexico State University

Ernesto Cisneros

More stories from Ernesto Cisneros

Ernesto Cisneros

Actor William H. Macy joins NMSU students in the ASNMSU Center for the Arts

The actor known for his roles in Shameless (2011-2021), Jurassic Park 3 (2001) and  Fargo (1996) participated in an open discussion with students and community members on March 3. The discussion was open to the public for free and held at the Center for the Arts Medoff Theater at New Mexico State University.  

Macy sparked laughs, joy, and inspiration from the audience as he reflected on his career and answered questions.  

Among the topics that he discussed, the imitation of Hollywood on society in terms of violence is one that stood out.  

“I think the way Hollywood depicts violence is horse shit and it’s gotta stop. In the old days this is what we used to say ‘don’t shoot the messenger, we are a reflection of society’ and it was true for a while but it’s not anymore, now society is imitating Hollywood,” Macy said.  

While watching a film or series, some can agree that the most dramatic and enticing part of the plot is death and violence. For some films, this trait is huge and very important. Macy noted how this has a real impact on society because of on-going violence stating that “it’s not good for our country.”  

He elaborated by saying how the truth must be told when writing a dramatic plot that includes violent themes and should effectively communicate the seriousness it has on people.  

Macy was asked about how he became successful in the industry prompting him to recall long-time mentor and playwright David Mamet.  

“Dave Mamet said it was a calling, he described the theater as ‘the place that people have always gone to hear the truth and it’s our job, what we do for a living is tell the truth and that’s it noble and we should be proud of it,  if you don’t want to take this seriously, please leave now,’ so he made it a calling for me and I never looked back.”  

As anticipated, a question asked what his favorite characters were to play. He briefly spoke on two that positively impacted his career.  

“Jerry Lundegaard changed my life, I highly recommend early in your career getting nominated for an Oscar, it’s a good move. Frank Gallagher was a gift, I’m a Lutheran from Western Maryland. I would read these scripts and go “no!?” I just loved it; he was so wrong.”  

A question about advice for future actors came up, Macy emphasized the importance of being persistent. 

“Do everything, get in a class, don’t take no for an answer, capitalize on your successes and work hard, you gotta work hard,” Macy said. “Work hard, find your joy.”  

Upon conclusion of the discussion, students were given the chance to take selfies and have things autographed. Macy attended the screening of his film Fargo later that evening where he received the Outstanding Achievement in Entertainment Award as part of the Las Cruces Film Festival which runs until Sunday.