Feature: Non-traditional Undergraduate Student

More stories from Stephanie Frisch

20+year+Army+Veteran%2C+Michael+Rother+is+pursing+his+Engineering+Degree+at+NMSU.+

Christian Iglesias

20 year Army Veteran, Michael Rother is pursing his Engineering Degree at NMSU.

For many undergraduates, college may be an intimidating period in their lives, but for a small portion of students starting college is a completely different experience altogether.

Michael Rother is one of those students. He is a retired Army veteran who spent 20 years in active duty, before deciding to get a college degree. Michael will walk across the stage and receive his diploma on the 12th of May, 2018.

College wasn’t always something that Michael envisioned for himself. He joined the military right out of high school, and after retirement he worked for a test program company in Hawaii, and was laid off due to program changes and no longer needing the small group he was working with. Without a formal engineering degree, he wasn’t able to find another job within the company. His interest in engineering grew from there.

“I took it as an opportunity, when I got laid off, to come back to school and finish my education” said Michael.

Though Michael is 49, the age difference between himself and many undergraduate student is not a problem. Other engineering majors have been very accepting of Michael, and he couldn’t be more proud to graduate this year.

“The young students here are so accepting of everybody and it’s been a real joy,” said Michael. “I’ve never been excluded. They always make me feel like I’m the same age.”

The struggles for Michael have been just as real as they are for any other student. He explained that one of the hardest things about being an older undergraduate student is retaining all of the information he is presented, but his peers are always supportive.

“Young students understand that we’re struggling right alongside them. Whatever level you’re in, it’s good to keep moving forward and stay focused.” Michael said. “And engineering was a big undertaking for me. It was tough and I really didn’t know if I was going to make it.”

Though the students of NMSU have been open and accepting of Micheal, regardless of his age, he did admit that it is strange to be older than most of his peers. Most of this has to do with the lack of clubs that appeal to an older population of students.

Michal explained, “It did feel different to come and start here. I was glad to be so well accepted, but there are so many youth groups and associations on campus, and as far as people I can mingle with that are in my age group, I feel like we’re lacking.”

One of the large differences between older undergraduate students, and the traditional students is the life that they lead outside of school. Michael explained that even though the school is lacking in a large body of older students, he has another life to go home to.

Michael is married, and has kids. He said that many of the students his age also have families, and it makes the college experience different from what younger students may have undergone.

“We all have another life before school. We come to school during the day during class, but we have a life after school, like a family” said Michael.

Starting college later than most students do is not something Michael regrets. If anything, he is more thankful for his time in the military before pursuing a degree.

“I don’t regret it [time in the military]. Most of the youth, I would say are uncertain, about their degrees or jobs, and the military gave me a good opportunity to discover more about myself,” said Michael, “I know what I want to do, and what I don’t want to do.”

Going into the military before starting college also gave Michael time to become financially stable. He explained that his generation is the first generation to heavily use student loans, and he didn’t want to be part of that group.

“This works really well because financially I can afford to go to school. I used my four years of the G.I. Bill, and I just switched over to the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill to give me funding to finish my degree.” said Michael.

Michael advises students to never stop learning regardless of their age. “The education process never really stops, and it shouldn’t” Michael concluded.