Living the Greek Life Comes at a Price

More stories from Stephanie Frisch

Greek+life+offers+the+chance+to+make+life-long+friends+and+spring+recruitment+begins+soon+for+most+chapters.+

Christian Iglesias

Greek life offers the chance to make life-long friends and spring recruitment begins soon for most chapters.

The beginning of each semester brings students new classes, new books, and a chance to pledge with a fraternity or sorority. However, many students may be skeptical of the price tag that comes with a Greek life title.

All of the five sororities on campus have different dues each semester, ranging from about $600 to $3,000. Many people who are considering going Greek may be wondering, what exactly does this money cover?

Though each chapter varies, there are always chapter dues that are set by each individual chapter and national dues. National dues vary by each sorority, but the money is paid to a national chapter so that the sorority can remain affiliated.

Chapter dues are set by each individual sorority and also vary by chapter. These dues often are based upon how much the chapter needs for events like formal, retreat, or socials.

Many sororities across the nation have houses, only three of the five sororities at NMSU have houses. These sororities are Chi Omega, Delta Zeta, and Zeta Tau Alpha. Alpha Xi Delta and Delta Gamma both do not have houses.

The sororities with houses do require members to live in house for a varying amount of time (one year- three semesters), and dues may increase to pay for living in the house, and the meal plan.

Brittney Manquero, a Zeta Tau Alpha freshman, explained that the dues are well worth the cost. “The money contributed goes to a bigger cause than ourselves,” said Manquero. “Greek life has taught me and my sisters how to give back to the community.”

The first semester of a sorority girls dues will also come with initiation dues and new member dues. These amounts range from about $100-$200. These fees help cover ceremonies that prepare new members to become active members.  

Another important part of new member dues is the fee for a badge or pin. This badge is specified to each sorority, but is very important as it signifies what the chapter stands for. Depending on the intricacy of each badge, the cost will rise.

Odelle Duffy, a freshman and a member of Chi Omega says the benefits of Greek life outweigh the costs. “It’s financially worth it to live in the Chi Omega house because it is cheaper than living in campus housing, and it’s still on campus,” Duffy explained.

A typical freshman pays between $1,384 (Triple Occupancy in RGH) and $3,320 (Single Occupancy Suite Bath in RGH), plus $1,848-$1,900 for a meal plan. This totals to between $3,232- $5,220 per semester. To live in a sorority house, with all your meals cooked for you by a chef or house mom, girls usually pay between $2,500-$3,500 a semester.

“It offers unbelievable development and career opportunities, professional networking, community involvement, and it encourages good grades,” said Duffy. “It’s not just hard work though, it created lifelong friendships.”

“Chi Omega is worth every penny because it offers a family and a support system which is always nice when you live away from home” Duffy concluded.