Eerie-sistible movies for this year’s spooky season

Carlos Herrera
Halloween movies are a great way to get in the spooky spirit.

The season of Halloween has finally arrived, bringing a chill in the air and a sense of excitement for all things spooky. As the leaves fall, turning shades of orange and red, movie lovers everywhere are preparing to binge horror films to get in the Halloween spirit. 

The best horror movies not only provide scares and thrills for the viewer, but they tell a compelling story that keeps viewers engaged from beginning to end. The genre allows filmmakers to explore themes such as fear, mortality, and the unknown. It leaves space to create an atmosphere that keeps viewers on the edge of their seats.  

Whether through jump scares, eerie music, or suspenseful pacing, horror movies uniquely develop a sense of dread and anticipation unmatched by any other genre. When done right, horror movies can leave a lasting impression on viewers long after the credits have rolled. If you’re looking for inspiration for your movie marathon, look no further than these spooky recommendations. 

Poltergeist (1982) 

“Poltergeist” is a classic horror film that should be at the top of your Halloween movie list. Directed by Tobe Hooper, the movie tells the story of a family who discovers that evil spirits haunt their house. With a perfect blend of supernatural scares and family drama, “Poltergeist” delivers an eerie and suspenseful experience that will leave you on the edge of your seat. The movie also features excellent performances from its cast and groundbreaking special effects that have stood the test of time. “Poltergeist” is a must-watch for horror fans looking for a chilling movie experience. 

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) 

“The Texas Chain Saw Massacre” is a cult-classic horror film that has become a genre staple. Directed by Tobe Hooper, the movie tells the story of five friends who fall victim to a family of cannibalistic killers in rural Texas. With its gritty and realistic style, this blood-chilling film creates a sense of terror and unease unmatched by other horror movies. The film also features iconic scenes and a genuinely terrifying villain, Leatherface, who has become a horror icon. If you are a horror enthusiast who seeks a raw and intense movie experience, “The Texas Chain Saw Massacre” is a perfect choice. However, it may not be suitable for those with a faint heart. 

The Shining (1980) 

“The Shining” is a cinematic masterpiece that has become a horror classic. Directed by Stanley Kubrick, the movie tells the story of a family who becomes the caretakers of a remote hotel during the winter. As they settle in, the father’s mental health deteriorates, leading to a series of terrifying events culminating in a thrilling and unforgettable climax. With its iconic performances, eerie atmosphere, and captivating plot, “The Shining” will leave you both terrified and fascinated. 

Candyman (1992) 

The horror movie “Candyman” has endured through time and secured a place as an outstanding film in the genre. Directed by Bernard Rose, the movie tells the story of a graduate student who investigates a local urban legend about a vengeful spirit known as the Candyman. As she delves deeper into the mystery, she finds herself drawn into a world of terror and violence that threatens to consume her. “Candyman” is an atmospheric, thought-provoking horror movie exploring race and class. It is a captivating horror movie that delivers an immersive experience with exceptional storytelling, remarkable acting, and an antagonist that leaves a lasting impression. 

Hereditary (2018) 

“Hereditary” is a modern-horror masterpiece praised for its chilling atmosphere and unforgettable performances. Directed by Ari Aster, the movie tells the story of a family who begins to unravel dark secrets about their ancestry after the death of their grandmother. As they delve deeper into the mystery, they discover something sinister in their bloodline — determined to destroy them. “Hereditary” is a slow-burning horror movie that relies on dreadful tension to create an unsettling and terrifying experience. The movie boasts a gripping plot, stunning cinematography, and exceptional acting. For fans of horror films, “Hereditary” is an excellent choice if you’re seeking an unsettling and terrifying experience that will leave you in awe.