NMSU receives over 2 million dollars in gifts on Giving Tuesday 

NMSU celebrated Giving Tuesday, Nov. 27. The university raised over $2 million in donations. (Photo courtesy NMSU)

‘Tis the season of giving, and after Giving Tuesday, New Mexico State will have the opportunity to give more to their students after receiving a tentative $2.1 million dollars. The University Advancement, NMSU Foundation and Alumni Association hosted the event from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Corbett Center Student Union in the Aggie Lounge on Nov. 27.  

Throughout the day, donors could head into the lounge and donate as generously as they pleased.  

Some donors matched donations to multiply gifts for certain funds, including the Aggie Cupboard, the Chile Pepper Institute Endowed Chair, the NMSU men’s and women’s golf team, the NMSU swimming and diving team and various scholarships.  

Leslie Cervantes, Associate Vice President for Alumni and Donor Relations said this is the fourth year they have held the event. 

“We’ve been so blessed over the last three years to have raised over 11 million for students and programs at New Mexico State,” Cervantes said. 

Cervantes said the event is usually consistent each year. She said although they did not have much “match money,” she believes that she will be pleased with the amount of money they will have raised from alumni and donors.  

“This is how we can find a student need and match it with a donor wish and when you can do those two things, that’s the best day at New Mexico State,” Cervantes said. 

She said most of the money goes to student scholarships. As of 4 p.m., the association established 33 new endowments for student scholarships.  

The university did not receive as much as they did last year, however. In 2017, NMSU was granted $2.4 million in donations. Last year NMSU also had 1,700 donors and with that money, was able to create 65 new scholarships.  

“Our goal is to impact students in a positive way,” Cervantes said.  

Cervantes said she has seen gifts of $5 to $100 thousand dollars, but reassured that all of the gifts add up.  

“Every donor is valued,” she said.  

According to Cervantes, Chancellor Dan Arvizu gave a donation of $250 thousand.  

Although in-person donations ended at 5 p.m., donors could make contributions online until 11:59 p.m.   

“It is the greatest day to watch alumni, students and donors come together to really make a positive impact on campus,” Cervantes said. “It is a very moving day to be an Aggie.” 

Gena Jones, Ph.D., works for the university and is an alumna. She said she decided to give because she wanted to show her commitment to the students, and seeing events like this keep her focused.  

“It also makes us think about why we’re here. Why we do what we do to support the students,” Jones said.  

NMSU student, Julia Burford decided to make a contribution to Giving Tuesday as well. She said she decided to give because she can help others.  

“Eventually it will come back around,” she said. 

Cervantes said the official total in donations will be released later this week.