Where to watch NMSU basketball as both programs return to the Big Dance

Petes+Patio+will+be+the+main+on-campus+viewing+party+for+NMSUs+run+in+the+NCAA+Tournament.+

Pete’s Patio will be the main on-campus viewing party for NMSU’s run in the NCAA Tournament.

Aimee, Staff Writer

After both New Mexico State basketball teams captured the Western Athletic Conference championship titles and completed successful seasons, many NMSU students are eager to see their Aggies go dancing.

Students looking to enjoy the upcoming basketball in a spirited environment are in luck, as several on-campus and off-campus locations around Las Cruces will be hosting watch parties.

The first round for the No. 12 NM State men’s basketball will begin with a showdown against the No. 5 Auburn Tigers on Thursday, March 21 at 11:20 a.m on TNT. The No. 14 ranked NM State women’s team will play No. 3 Iowa State Cyclones in the first round on Saturday, March 23 at 3:30 p.m.

Pete’s Patio will be open at 11 a.m. this Thursday and Friday to host watch parties. Pizza will be sold at 11 a.m. and alcohol service will begin at 12 p.m.

NMSU student Isaiah Gutierrez said he is considering his options about where to watch the first rounds of the tournaments.

“As far as watching parties, I’m not really sure where I’ll be watching yet. Pete’s Patio sounds like the best spot as it’s right on campus and it will have a predominantly college student crowd which tends to get a lot rowdier and excited for the games,” Gutierrez said.

With Pete’s Patio having opened this semester, this will be the first of March Madness watching parties at the patio.

Students still have off-campus options for watch parties as well, two of which include De La Vega’s Pecan Grill and Brewery on Telshor Boulevard and both The Game Sports Bar & Grill locations.

“We are the official watch party for the Aggies,” Colton Brown of Pecan Grill said.

Pecan Grill will host parties for both the NM State men’s and women’s first round games this Thursday and Saturday and will be featuring giveaways during their events.

The Game Sports Bar & Grill is another option for students to keep updated, as both locations restaurants will be showing men and women’s games throughout the tournament season. The Game I is located on Espina Street and Game II is located on Northrise Drive.

The Game includes indoor and outdoor seating, as well as 20 television screens at each location. NMSU student Johnathan Maese said he keeps up with Aggie sports by working for Special Events and visits The Game for its menu.

“I usually watch [basketball] at home. Also, I work most sporting events that occur on campus. I go to The Game for the food mostly,” Maese said.

Gutierrez said that when NMSU students come together to showcase school spirit, it creates an exciting environment and gave his commentary on the Aggies’ seasons.

“The more hype we create, the more fun it is and Pete’s Patio offers a good chance for that.” Gutierrez said. “I think it’s really unique and exhilarating that both the men and women made the tournament. Brooke Salas is having an amazing year and is really capping off her career as an Aggie with a bang. As far as the men go, [men’s basketball] we’re having a historic year. Coach Jans has really done something amazing with this team,” Gutierrez said.

NMSU student DeAna Lopez said she looks forward to watching her university being represented in March Madness.

“I’m very excited to watch the Aggies play. It’s awesome to have our teams in the tournament—it just makes March Madness even more exciting,” Lopez said.