Brief: NMSU updates mask guidelines for fully vaccinated people

Raul Flores

More stories from Raul Flores

Santana Ochoa

COVID-19 guidelines posted in Corbett Center Student Union

Vice Chancellor and Chief COVID-19 Officer Ruth Johnston wrote an email Wednesday afternoon with an updated face mask guidance for fully vaccinated people on campus.

The email, which was sent on behalf of University Communications to all students and employees, states that people who have received full vaccinations are no longer required to wear a mask inside some of the indoor spaces on campus.

“The New Mexico State University system will now follow the revised CDC guidelines on mask-wearing indoors as well as outdoors, in alignment with the state’s latest public health order,” Johnston’s email read. “This allows fully vaccinated people to forego mask-wearing both indoors and outdoors, except in those places where policy requires it,”

The email also clarifies that masks will still be required in health care and lab settings as well as classrooms regardless of vaccination status. Campus signs will be either removed or updated according to the new guidelines.

Previously, it had been announced via the COVID-19 Pandemic Action Team Report of May 6, that fully vaccinated individuals were no longer required to wear a mask outdoors as long as they were not part of a group of 20 people or more.

For any further questions about mask-wearing and campus guidelines, email [email protected]