NMSU’s TRIO support program offers academic resources to students

Ernesto Cisneros

More stories from Ernesto Cisneros

Alana Hernandez

Campus tutoring services informational poster located in NMSU main campus

TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) is one of the many programs on campus that offers tutoring, mentoring and resources to students at no cost.  

The program is primarily funded through grants provided by the U.S. Department of Education and is meant to help students with financial need as well as first-generation and disability status.  

Jennafer Miller, one of the program’s peer tutors, said the program is designed to help students achieve their academic success while encouraging them to be sustainable in their college experience.  

“We take students who are first generation low income or have some sort of disability and we work with them to make sure that they succeed in their classes, and we usually work with students you know all over,” Miller said.  

Miller’s role as tutor involves helping students with specific classes through one-on-one instruction, exam preparation, studying or providing tips on how to effectively take notes.  

“Tutors meet with the students, it could either be a drop-in schedule, so the student lets you know when they want to come in, or it’s biweekly and so the student comes in.” Miller said. “We help them with their homework, we help them with lecture material, anything the student needs for those particular classes,” 

The TRIO program aims to help students be successful in their academic programs while informing them about various campus resources and encouraging them not to be reluctant to ask for help, according to Miller.  

Miller has been a peer tutor for two years and said the impact she’s seen on students is more than rewarding but also crucial.  

It really grants you this kind of level of retrospect that you know, these people [peer tutors] are able to tell you what they wish they knew and so when you take advantage of that you get a hold of these resources that you might have not known otherwise,” Miller said.  

The program also offers a mentorship. A few of the tasks of a mentor include assisting students with their adjustment to college life, filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), applying for scholarships and career planning. Mentors meet with students monthly to assist with any type of concerns or needs about school.  

Abby Acosta is in her first year as mentor and explains her involvement has not only been great for her personal growth but carries huge implications for other students relying on a mentor’s wisdom and past experiences in order to succeed.  

“Being a mentor is such a huge responsibility and a role I hold with honor. Being able to help my fellow peers navigate their way through the hardships of college is amazing. I’ve met so many new people that I would have never come across had I not joined TRIO,” Acosta said. “It has also helped me come out of my shell and help other students be open to more experiences as well.”  

Acosta also expressed that TRIO is a learning experience for both the the mentors and tutors as well. It gives students the chance to share their personal experiences with their mentors to further their own growth while getting the needed resources.  

“Building that trust and relationship with our fellow peers has helped me gain compassion, understanding, and cultural competence that I would have not been able to get anywhere else,” Acosta said.  

To be eligible for the program, students must apply first and meet certain qualifications such as being enrolled full time on the main campus. 

For information about the program, full eligibility requirements and how to apply, visit triosss.nmsu.edu.