Aggies place eighth in opening men’s golf tournament

Photo courtesy of NMSU athletics.

The Aggies participated in the Golfweek Collegiate Kickoff in Missouri this past weekend placing 8th overall against stiff competition. The two-day competition had several surprises and was an excellent display of what the Aggies have in store for this season. 

The kickoff featured twelve teams including powerhouses Louisiana State University and the host school University of Missouri. The Aggies took to the greens with an early lead keeping up with LSU, with star performances from redshirt junior Alexandre Bauduin who earned birdies on holes four, six, and eight. Also standing in the spotlight was senior Alvaro Morales who received a birdie on hole two and an eagle on hole 15, the first for the Aggies’ season. 

In the second half of the day, though the Aggies would lose some of their momentum, but would maintain a lead over rival school University of Texas El Paso. Sophomore Anthony Lara scored his first birdie as an Aggie on the tenth hole to help bring the team to 22 birdies before play was interrupted by weather. Morales was the only Aggie to complete the 36 holes from Monday, but his teammates were right behind him needing only five holes to complete Monday.

Photo courtesy of NMSU athletics.

Early Tuesday morning the Aggies were back at it for round three of the competition. The Aggies shot another 14 birdies bringing their total to 37, a good showing for the team. Sophomore Javier Delgadillo was the standout in the round with two birdies and his first eagle of the season. 

At the end of the third round, the Aggies were in eighth place which put NMSU ahead of UTEP and the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. Coming in first was LSU who scored a seven-shot lead over the University of Missouri. 

Now the Aggies are preparing for the Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational in Colorado Springs which begins on Sunday, Sept. 10. NMSU historically has done very well in the tournament, tying for third place last season.