NM State soccer overpowered by UNM’s offense

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

New Mexico State women’s soccer traveled to the University of New Mexico in the much anticipated I-25 rivalry but were overwhelmed by offensive pressure and dropped the match 3-0.  

The Aggies’ offense was off to a quick start and within the first few minutes, junior midfield Bianca Chacon took advantage of a corner kick that resulted in a clearance attempt that led to a goal to the right side of the net. scored her fourth goal of the season. Although their momentum was established quickly, the feeling did not last long.  

The Lobos retaliated shortly after and maintained the lead for the rest of the game with their powerful offense and determined defense.  

A few minutes later, the Lobos retaliated with a thunder of shots that resulted in a goal by Mercedes Morris to quickly tie the game.  

The Aggies put up a fight defensively with junior Mya Hammack and senior Loma McNeese fired shots that just barely missed the mark. By the 30-minute mark, both teams had added 20 combined shots.  

NM State showed relentless efforts at the start of the second half, but after back-to-back shots, the Lobos secured another goal with a shot from Presley Devey that flew past freshman goalkeeper Karolanne Lafortune to take the lead 2-1.  

At the start of the second half, the Aggies attempted to generate goal opportunities, but their efforts were shot down by a shot from UNM’s Myah Isais headed the ball to the top right corner to put the Lobos up 3-1. 

Despite UNM losing Kennedy Brown to a red card after her second yellow card, the Lobos defense continued to prevent the Aggies from getting into scoring position.   

Although NM State had more saves at the net, UNM outshot the Aggies 15-8.  

Notably, after Chacon’s early goal, she leads the NM State in goals while Hammack leads in minutes played.  

NM State will stay on the road and travel to the University of Southern California on Thursday, Sept. 14 at 4 p.m.