Aggies scoreless against the Trojans

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

After being outplayed both offensively and defensively, New Mexico State women’s soccer failed to score against the University of Southern California Trojans, 3-0, and now face a three-game losing streak.  

After a slow start on both sides, the game remained scoreless on both sides after the first 25 minutes. The Trojans would be the first to find the net after Helena Sampaio fired in a shot for the opening goal.  

Just a minute later, the Trojans quickly broke through the Aggies’ defense once again and Maribel Flores earned their second goal of the game with a strong right-footed pass to the back of the net. Unable to respond, the Aggies headed into the half down 2-0.  

The Aggies scrambled to defend the Trojans but left wide open shot opportunities instead. Towards the end of the first half, the Trojans shot four times in the last six minutes. Freshmen goalkeeper Karolanne Lafortune continued to lay out and block each shot to prevent the Trojans from having a possible 5-0 lead. 

Coming into the second half, the Aggies started to find more openings at the net, taking seven attempts, two of which hit the post. The Aggies then obtained two corner kicks after several fouls but failed to convert any.  

Several minutes later, the Trojans responded by moving the ball and firing more shots that prevented the Aggies from making a comeback.  

The Trojans increased their lead after Kayla Colbert scored off a double assist by Flores, and Simi Awujo. After the Aggies fell behind 3-0, their energy depleted, and they could no longer put up a fight.  

Three minutes later, a yellow card was called on the Trojans which led to another scoring attempt by the Aggies. Trojan goalkeeper Hannah Dickinson successfully blocked the shot to keep the Aggies scoreless.  

After a series of shots taken by both teams, the match ended with the Trojans shutting out the Aggies 3-0.  The Aggies will now go into conference play when they host Louisiana Tech on Sunday at 1 p.m.