Aggies Overpower the Lobos in Albuquerque

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

In his hometown, quarterback Diego Pavia led the New Mexico State football team as they dominated offensively against their rivals the University of New Mexico, 27-17, for the second year in a row. NM State traveled to Albuquerque for the much anticipated, yearly Battle of 1-25 that ended with the student section chanting “Aggiequerque.”  

It took time for both teams’ offenses to wake up, but the defense came to play coming up with multiple four and out possessions in the first quarter. Although the Lobos opened up the scoring with a 25-yard field goal from Drew Drzewiecki, the Aggies offense quickly moved the ball up the field losing it on yet another four and out.  

With combined efforts from quarterback Dylan Hopkins and running back Sherod White, the Lobo offense responded and took the ball into Aggie territory trying to close in on another score to increase their lead. White plowed through the Aggie defensemen, but he lost the ball at the NMSU 12-yard line, and Diego Pavia and company went to work seeking their first score of the game. 

In the last three minutes of the first quarter, the Aggies moved the chains on multiple run attempts combined with the strength of Star Thomas and speed force of Monte Watkins, Pavia opened the game back up after he threw 29-yard reception to receiver Trent Hudson.  

After Hudson’s catch, Thomas ran the ball on multiple attempts until the end of the quarter. As the second quarter started, Pavia fed Thomas on another running attempt to score the first touchdown.  

On the Lobos’ next possession, they continued the same game plan from the first quarter. Hopkins completed several short pass attempts to find the holes to get passed the Aggie defense. Once Hopkins and his offense made it to the Aggie one yard line, the Lobos would take the lead after a rushing touchdown by Jacory Merritt.  

With nine minutes left in the half, the Aggies continued up field seeking a touchdown but settled for a 26-yard field goal to tie the game at 10 apiece.

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

The Aggie defense held UNM, forced a four out and to get possession. The Aggies moved the chains forward with short passes and runs as time was running out. With seconds left, sophomore receiver Jonathan Brady flew by the UNM secondary for a 31-yard touchdown pass. The took the lead going into halftime 17-10.  

Both sides continued to battle to start the third quarter with tough defenses and quick four and outs. Pavia and his offense kept moving the chains up the field but were set back by several penalties. The Aggies started to find momentum after a field goal attempt by redshirt senior Ethan Albertson. 

As Hopkins and the Lobos carried the ball from the end of the third to the beginning of the fourth, he reverted to short throws and handing the ball off to his running backs. Suddenly, Hopkins threw the ball short completed to Andrew Erickson for the six.  

With 10 minutes remaining, Pavia took control and stuck a fire under the Aggies’ offense. On the first snap of the drive, Pavia connected with Brady for a 75-yard touchdown to the house to take the lead by 10. 

The Aggie defense pressed on the gas in the fourth courter. The Lobos had one last opportunity to score but Lobo kicker Luke Drzewiecki missed the chance to set them up for an onside kick recovery. The Aggie victory was in sight and the team returned home with the thrilling 27-17 win. 

By the end of the game, Diego Pavia posted 203 passing yards with two touchdowns and 99 running yards. Star Thomas recorded 54 rushing yards with one touchdown and Jonathan Brady received 109 yards for two touchdowns on the night.  

The Aggies now sit at a 2-2 record and will travel to Honolulu to take on the University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors on Saturday, Sept. 3 at 10 p.m Mountain Time. Coverage will be streamed on the Spectrum Sports Network.