Aggies shutout the Miners in Battle of 1-10

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

With a steadfast defense and powerful offense, the New Mexico State women’s soccer team shutout the University of Texas El Paso Miners 2-0. Aggie fans packed the UTEP stadium in the always anticipated battle of 1-10 to help the Aggies reach 2-0 in conference play.  

The Aggies went in with an aggressive mentality and confidence but struggled to push the ball up field with full pressure on the defense. They gained momentum quickly after senior Megan Ormson crashed the box on a Bianca Chacon assist from the corner. Ormson’s first goal of the season put the Aggies up by one in the first couple minutes of the game. 

As the Aggies continued to push up and down the field firing on all cylinders, but the UTEP defense woke up not wanting to give up another early goal put them away. Both defenses played the entirety of the half with quick ball clears but would not set up back in their positions. The Aggies headed into halftime with the momentum on their backs.  

In the early stages of the half, the Miners came out fighting trying to find any opening to take a shot on goalie Valerie Guha. Guha didn’t see as much action as she did in previous games, but she was still a wall in front of the net with two pivotal saves.  

With 18 minutes remaining in the game, junior midfielder Tati Jerman received the ball off a pass from Meredith Scott to put the Aggies up by two with a screamer past the UTEP keeper in the top right corner. With the Miner offense trying to battle up the field, the Aggie defense prevailed to keep the clean sheet for Lafortune. At the end of the game, the final score was 2-0. 

After the match head coach Rob Baarts commended his team for their persistence throughout the game.

“And I think tonight was definitely an example and was exactly what we expected. And I was incredibly proud of our girls to stand their energy, they brought good energy and attacked a lot of balls,” Baarts said.

Now that NMSU is 2-0 in conference play, they are taking that momentum with them in the coming matches against Middle Tennessee and Saturday, Sept. 30 at 4 p.m. against Liberty University. Coverage is to be announced.