Office of Health Promotion destigmatizes mental health

Leah De La Torre
The Office of Health Promotion gave out buttons displaying 988, the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline, for Suicide Prevention Week. Sept. 14, 2023.

Staff at the Office of Health Promotion (OHP) educated students about mental health during Suicide Prevention Week. Through trivia games and other activities, they worked to destigmatize mental health issues and teach students about suicide prevention. 

On Monday, Sept. 11, the campus observed 988 day. This day commemorates the new phone number for mental health emergencies, accessible 24/7 to everyone. 

Camryn Wharff, a peer health educator, explained the importance of the new phone number.  

“We switched from a much longer, more complicated number last year,” Wharf said. “988 is the mental health version of 911. So, if people are experiencing a mental health crisis, they can call, text, or chat online with 988 and waiting for them are mental health professionals to help with any sort of crisis situation.”  

For 988 day, OHP staff passed out material informing students about 988. Not only was it an educational experience, but students also had fun playing trivia games. 

“During that time, we gave out material to inform students and we had a buzzer game,” Sheena Merino, a mental health education specialist, explained. “So, they got to compete against each other.” 

Peak Behavioral Health, a psychiatric hospital in Santa Teresa, New Mexico with an outpatient hospital in Las Cruces, also tabled in front of Corbett on 988 day. One of their staff members, Kayleigh Martinez, talked to students about what they do. 

“We’re here to break any stigma that comes with mental health and see if they have any questions,” Martinez said. 

On Tuesday, Sept. 12, OHP staff tested students’ knowledge on mental health stigma. Students spun a wheel and answered trivia questions based on what color the spinner landed on. 

“Today we’re finding out what the stigma is and how do you prevent it, and what those questions look like, and that ranges from what we see and not only culturally, but here in our community,.” Merino said. 

An NMSU student throws a water balloon for Thursday’s Office of Health Promotion tabling activity. Sept. 14, 2023. (Leah De La Torre)

The theme for Wednesday, Sept. 13, was “#ReasonWhyISpeak.” Students wrote notes of kindness on sticky notes and a whiteboard. 

“It’s about affirmations that whole day, and kind of telling us why mental health is important to you,” Merino said. 

The last event of Suicide Prevention Week on campus was “Thursday Throw.” Staff let students throw water balloons at them if they answered questions about physical and mental health correctly. Merino explained why this activity was particularly important. 

“A lot of students, and just in general, we forget to also take care of our physical health,” Merino remarked. “And that relates to mental health because it is going to take care of your all-around physical body, but also how we think every day. It helps you just get out there – get that fresh air.”  

The OHP is a part of Aggie Health and Wellness, which is available year-round. They provide individual and group counseling, as well as mental health evaluation and assessments.  

“If you are a full-time student, you get 12 free sessions a year… After that you do have to pay out of pocket, but our group counseling sessions are for free all the time,” Merino explained. 

OHP also hosts QPR training. Kevin Rodriguez, a counselor at NMSU, explained what QPR is and what the training looks like. 

“QPR [stands for] Question, Persuade, and Refer,” Rodriguez said. “Organizations require their students to have some training in QPR, which is pretty much suicide prevention training for RAs and administrators to be able to talk about it.”  

The main thing that staff at OHP, Peak Behavioral Health, and Aggie Health and Wellness want students to learn from this week is that help is available, and to get help when you need it.  

The Office of Health Promotion staff posing during their tabling on Sept. 14, 2023. The staff is listed from left to right: Karina Gonzalez, Sheena Merino, Brent Harris, and Camryn Wharf. (Leah De La Torre)

“It’s really important and crucial that we empower people to talk about their mental health and remind everyone that they’re not alone,” Wharf said. “And there are options other than suicide, and if you get help, things will get better. Your life matters and it’s important and it’s worth living.” 

For more information about the Office of Health Promotion, visit ohp.nmsu.edu or call the Aggie Health and Wellness Center at (575) 646-2813. If you’re experiencing a mental health emergency, call 988.