NMSU soccer making history

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

With an aggressive offense, New Mexico State University women’s soccer overpowered the Middle Tennessee Blue Raider 3-2 to earn their third conference win. Their previous 3-0 conference record last occurred in the program’s inaugural season in 2009.  

NMSU’s was off to a quick start after an on-goal shot from Loma McNeese that just barely missed the mark. MTSU goalie Hannah Suder saved five shots, Aggie defender Mya Gonzales ignited the NMSU fans into a cheering frenzy with the first goal of the night.

Just when the NMSU bench thought they were going into half-time with the 1-0 lead, MTSU’s Sascha Nielsen nailed a shot passed redshirt sophomore Valerie Guha to tie the game. NMSU still took more shot opportunities and refused to back down. 

Within the first minute of the second half, freshman Shila Rasoul sent a screamer to the top left corner to give NMSU a 2-1 lead. The Aggies’ momentum was short lived after MTSU’s Jessica Oliveras snuck in between the NMSU defense to tie it up at two apiece  

With both teams going at a nonstop offensive push and 25 minutes left in the half, MTSU set the Aggies up in perfect scoring position after a foul. Junior Brooke Schultz took the opportunity and sailed in a shot to give the Aggies their final goal.  

The NMSU defense shut down MTSU to take the 3-2 victory and their third conference victory. By the final whistle, NMSU recorded 19 shot attempts compared to MTSU’s six.  

Bianca Chacon continues to perform for the Aggies with a team high of six assists and 15 total assists — the highest in program history.  

The Aggies now improve to 6-5-1 overall and 3-0 in conference play. The Aggies will not travel to Liberty University on Sept. 30 at 4 p.m.