Spook-tacular Halloween costume ideas for your busy college life

David Castañeda
A variety of costume ideas for Halloween this year. Oct. 20, 2023.

Halloween is just around the corner, which means “spooky season” has arrived. Like every holiday, Halloween sneaks up on us, which results in trying to find a last-minute costume. Here are some costume ideas that require minimal effort and will not break the bank.  

Budget-friendly/DIY 

While the “Do it Yourself” trend has taken over the internet in various projects and crafts, it is especially useful when it comes to Halloween costumes. It is an easy way to get creative and save a penny. The ultimate affordable costume is simple — use what you already have around the house. You may be unaware that you have a costume sitting in your closet, and remember, not all costumes need to be scary.  

A pair of Dr. Martens, “mom jeans” and a denim jacket create a perfect 80s costume; just add some hairspray. Have a red polo shirt and khaki pants? There is your costume, Jake from State Farm. The iconic greaser costume requires four basic items: a plain white t-shirt, black pants, a leather jacket and a pair of Converse. Add hair gel and you are on your way to becoming Danny Zuko.  

Maybe you want to have a more generic costume such as a witch or a pirate, then realize you have the props to pull it off. The key is to get creative with your materials and use imagination and resources. Pinterest is a great platform to search for ideas.  

It is easy to become inspired by the thousands of Halloween costumes, but not everyone can afford them, or may not have all the materials on hand. Shopping at your local thrift store could help you find what you are looking for on a budget while supporting a local business.  

Using items found in your closet is an easy, budget-friendly way to create a Halloween costume. Oct. 20, 2023. (David Castañeda)

Pop Culture 

Each year, our world becomes consumed by what is trending in pop culture. These trends make the most relatable, popular costumes. To no surprise, some of the most popular trends this year are the “Barbie” movie, the Netflix show, “Wednesday,” and last but not least, Taylor Swift.  

Since its debut in July 2023, “Barbie” has continued to be a hot topic. It is a straightforward, fan-favorite costume — not only Barbie, but Ken too. Barbie and Ken is a trendy yet classic couple’s costume.  

Wednesday Addams is another costume that has made a comeback. The film and TV series, “The Addams Family” has served as a famous costume choice, for individuals, couples and even families for decades. Netflix’s “Wednesday,” has reintroduced the classic story right in time.  

Whether or not you listen to her music, Taylor Swift is known as a pop culture icon. Unless you live under a rock, you are probably aware that the Eras Tour took the world by storm this summer. There will no doubt be Eras Tour costumes with inspiration from Swift’s countless styles from the tour. 

While most pop culture costumes are based on what is currently trending, it is important to not forget about timeless pop culture when it comes to Halloween. You can never go wrong with inspiration from classic Halloween movies such as “Beetlejuice,” “A Nightmare on Elm Street,” “Halloween,” “Scream,” “Hocus Pocus,” or “The Nightmare Before Christmas.”  

Bold makeup is a simple way to make a statement for Halloween. Oct. 20, 2023. (David Castañeda)

Simple but bold 

Another idea is to dress down your outfit and dress up your face by wearing a simple costume with a bold makeup look. Halloween is an excuse to go above and beyond if you have artistic makeup skills. There are endless options to choose from, such as a: doll; clown; scarecrow; skeleton; cat; mermaid; The Joker; zombie; spiderwebs; and much more. Doing this can be time-consuming, but it is a chance for you to show off your artistic talents.  

Glam makeup is a costume in and of itself. Although, nothing is stopping you from going all out with both an eye-catching costume and makeup. This interactive holiday allows people to embrace their innovative skills. Nothing is too spooky, too much, or not enough. There are no rules on All Hallows’ Eve, except for one — don’t light the black flame candle.