Aggie football on four-game win streak

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

Despite trailing 16-3, New Mexico State football rallied from a 13-point deficit to defeat the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs 27-24. This win marks the Aggies first four-game win streak in the last 20 years of the program.  

The Bulldogs’ offense started making plays after quarterback Hank Bachmeier completed a 47-yard pass to Kyle Maxwell to put the Bulldogs inside the red zone. Despite an unnecessary roughness penalty, the Bulldogs took an early 3-0 lead after a 42-yard field goal from Jacob Barnes.  

Riding their momentum into the second quarter, the Bulldogs carried their next possession to the Aggies’ one-yard line and extended their lead after Bachmeier crossed into end zone after a one-yard run. After the touchdown, NMSU’s sophomore Gabe Peterson managed to breach the line for his second blocked extra point to keep the Bulldogs at 9-0. 

The Aggies started to find their rhythm after picking up two first downs but settled for a 47-yard field goal from redshirt junior kicker Ethan Albertson to put the Aggies on the board.

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

The Bulldogs’ offense retaliated with several completed passes to set up first and goal from the Aggies’ two-yard line and extended their lead to 16-3.  

After struggling to make an impact, the Aggies found their groove offensively when junior quarterback Diego Pavia connected with sophomore Jonathan Brady for a 26-yard completion. Following a Bulldog penalty, the Aggies moved into field goal range and redshirt senior Ethan Albertson nailed a 47-yard kick as the Aggies attempted to regain control.  

Before the Aggies could make a stop, Bachmeier secured the Bulldog’s second touchdown with another quarterback sneak.  

Finally, after a breakthrough 24-yard rush by junior Jamoni Jones, the Aggies started to see relief. Redshirt sophomore Eli Stowers took the snap on fourth down and pushed through the goal line to set up Pavia on the next drive for a 19-yard rush touchdown to cut the Aggies’ deficit to 16-10 before halftime. 

Coming into the third quarter, the Aggies continued to struggle to push up field, but after 15 plays, Pavia found junior Trent Hudson for an eight-yard touchdown to give the Aggies their first lead of the game.  

After struggling to stop the Bulldogs in the first half, the Aggies made a key defensive play when outside linebacker Gabe Peterson recovered a fumble and forced the Bulldogs’ first turnover of the game.  

Moments later, junior running back Jamoni Jones scored his first rushing touchdown of the game and second of the season to give the Aggies a 24-16 lead. After allowing the Aggies to score twice, the Bulldogs responded by tying the game after Bachmeier found receiver John Locke for a three-yard touchdown.

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

The Aggies’ first possession of the fourth quarter resulted in a turnover on downs after Pavia threw an incompletion to Brady. The Aggies’ defense then forced a three-and-out to regain possession and, after a 31-yard Albertson field goal, the Aggies retook the lead at 27-24.  

The Aggies continued to apply pressure on the Bulldogs as redshirt freshman Sone Aupiu forced and recovered another fumble. With the Bulldogs unable to retaliate, the Aggies improved to 6-1 overall and 4-1 in conference play.  

After the contest, head coach Jerry Kill spoke on the team’s satisfactory performance.  

“We had to make some big-time defensive adjustments when we were getting hurt on defense and offensively, we didn’t have the ball,” Kill said. “But we got the ball back in the second half, we got out first, and that was the key.”  

The Aggies will now return to Las Cruces where they will host Middle Tennessee State University on Saturday, Nov. 4 at 4 p.m., for the yearly homecoming game. Coverage will be available on all ESPN platforms and 99.5 KXPZ-FM.