Aggie soccer crowned CUSA regular season champions

Photo+courtesy+of+NMSU+Athletics.+
Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

New Mexico State women’s soccer clinched the first-place seed going into the Conference USA tournament after shutting out the Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers 1-0. After a shot from sophomore Meredith Scott for the win, the Aggies earned a bye for a spot in the semifinals of the tournament. 

Within the first minutes of the game, NMSU’s goalkeeper Valerie Guha made two crucial saves in the box off WKU’s Aspen Seaich. The Aggies retaliated with an on-target shot by freshman Shila Rasoul but WKU’s goalkeeper Maddie Davis deflected it.  

The Hilltoppers continued to push past the Aggies’ tired defense, but Guha again was a wall at the goal post and kept the game tied at zeroes. By the end of the half, the score remained at 0-0, but the Hilltoppers had the advantage from outshooting the Aggies 10-5 with Guha saving six of those shots on target. 

Beginning the second half of the game, the Aggie offense showed a lot of adjustments as senior Loma McNeese encouraged her team to keep pressing up the field after she was able to put back-to-back shots on Davis but neither hit the mark.  

With a fresh set of players on the field, the Hilltoppers continued to dominate over the Aggies’ defense, but Guha made another save to keep them alive. With 16 minutes remaining in the half, the screams of the bench erupted after Scott broke through the right side of the penalty box for her first career goal to put the Aggies up 1-0.  

“The girls were exhausted yet excited,” said head coach Rob Baarts after the match. Baarts knew this team was not only playing for the win, but for themselves and fallen teammate Thalia Chaverria.  

With the one goal lead in hand, the Aggie offense gained its momentum and pushed for an insurance goal to have the win locked in. Both sides continued to fire shots at the post, but efforts were unsuccessful.  

As the final whistle blew the Aggies were crowned the Conference USA regular season champions.  

After the contest, Loma McNeese spoke on the difficulties the team has been facing.  

“It really does feel like we’ve been to hell and back,” McNeese said. “Just so many unexpected injuries and obviously the loss of a teammate, so this season moving forward means a lot.” 

Alongside McNeese, Bianca Chacon has seen how hard the team has fought to be where they are at.  

“We all play for [Chaverria],” Chacon said. “Just winning it has been amazing, we’re doing it for her now. Our job isn’t done, and we have one more thing to do still for her.” 

The Aggies will now jump into the semifinals against the winner between Florida International University and Sam Houston State University on Friday, Nov. 3 at 3:30 p.m. (MT). Coverage will be streamed on ESPN+. If the Aggies come out victorious, they will play for yet another conference title to punch their ticket to the NCAA tournament on Sunday Nov. 5 in Ruston, Louisiana.  

View Comments (2)