Come learn if you can get academic credit for your job

By Billy Huntsman

Managing Editor

Students interested in learning if their current employment—paid or not—can count for academic internship credit are encouraged to attend a student presentation hosted by the English Department on May 9, 3-4 p.m., in Clara Belle Williams Hall room 229.

The presentations will be given by NMSU students, undergraduate and graduate, currently enrolled in English 497 – Internship.  There will be three presenters—one who offers her creative writing services to a local author, a second who works with the mentally disabled and homeless to find employment, and a third who works as editor of a local publication and news website.

Each presentation will last about 15 minutes, with time for questions from the audience afterward.

The internship course, which is being offered in the fall, is coordinated by Patricia Wojahn, associate professor of English at NMSU.  Students interested in enrolling should contact her, [email protected], (575) 646-2239, Breland Hall 259A, to discuss how their current employment or prospective employment opportunities can receive academic credit through the English Department.

English 497 is an online class in which interns post weekly responses to prompts, as well as weekly summaries of their internship activities.  Students can receive up to six credits from the class.