Halloween-themed basketball event introduces new teams, connects with Las Cruces community

Ahmad Fairley
A boy attending Halloween Hoops eagerly awaits as men’s basketball player Clarence “Monzy” Jackson signs an autograph on Oct. 25, 2023.

It’s that time of year again when the New Mexico State University basketball teams are preparing for their new season, and what better way to kickstart it than by hosting a Halloween trick-or-treat event for the community.  

Known as Halloween Hoops, the event took place on Oct. 25, 2023, at the Pan American Center. It allowed the players, both men and women, to connect with their fans and the community to meet its hometown heroes.  

At the event, children got to experience the thrill of trick or treating in a safe and fun environment. Dressed in costumes, the children eagerly made their rounds to the tables around the Pan American Center, collecting candy and treats from the NMSU basketball players, as well as other students participating. The event created a sense of community and excitement, and was an excellent opportunity for families to come together and support their local basketball teams. 

Junior guard and forward Tylie Jones expressed her thoughts and perspective about the event. 

“It was a very fun event,” Jones stated. “I really love how it turned out. There were a lot of people that came, and I love the support.” 

Women’s basketball player Lucia Yenes leaps as a young boy shoots the ball on Oct. 25, 2023. (Ahmad Fairley)

During the Halloween Hoops event, the head coaches of both the men’s and women’s basketball teams — Jason Hooten and Jody Adams, respectively — expressed their thoughts about the upcoming basketball season, their preparation, and their expectations. The coaches provided fans with a glimpse into their thoughts and plans, and it was evident that they were both excited to lead their teams to victory in the upcoming season. 

“We knew what we were up against from the beginning,” Hooten said. “It is going to be a challenge to me personally, but to be in a place where your fans are so passionate is amazing to see.” 

At the end of the event, the men’s and women’s basketball teams were introduced to the fans. The players took the court, and the announcer introduced each member of the team to the delight of the crowd. Following the introductions, the players took time to sign autographs and take photos with families and fans.  

It was an excellent opportunity for fans to meet their favorite players and get excited for the upcoming season. The players were friendly and engaging, and it was clear that they were grateful for the support of their fans. The autograph session was another way for the players to connect with the community and show appreciation for their support.

The men’s basketball team posing for a picture, honing the Aggie’s hand sign on Oct. 25, 2023. (Ahmad Fairley)

Senior forward Clarence “Monzy” Jackson shared how he prepared during his off-season to be in peak condition for his busy winter season. 

“I’ve been running about two miles and doing strength conditioning every day, so it’s been a grind,” Jackson said. “I appreciate the boys [on the team] because when the season gets here, it will all be worth it when it is all said and done.” 

The men’s basketball team’s regular season begins the following Monday with an away game against the University of Kentucky with tipoff set for 6 p.m. The women’s basketball team begins its regular season next Monday with a home game against the University of Arizona at 6 p.m.