NM State men’s golf takes 16th in season opener

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

After completing two days of play, the New Mexico State men’s golf team closed out their spring season opener in 16th place at the National Invitational Tournament in Tuscon. Sophomore Javier Delgadillo led the effort for the Aggies posting 126 on day one and finished tied in 33rd place with a final score of 210 (-6).  

After two days of play, the team finished out with an 858 (-6) final score, putting them above the on-par Texas Christian University and one stroke below Iowa State.  

The 94-man playing field opened on Jan. 29, with one round played and the second being called short due to darkness on the course.  

Before the early finish to day one, Delgadillo posted an eagle and four birdies in the first 15 holes in the second round to land him in 21st place with a score of 126 (-5). Continuing the effort, senior River Smalley recorded five birdies in the final 13 holes with Anthony Lara trailing right behind with four birdies in an eight-hole stretch.  

Photo courtesy of NMSU Athletics.

The second day saw another strong finish for the team despite finishing in 15th place. The Aggies finished their third round with their lowest tournament score of 282. 

Delgadillo had a standout second round performance, leading a charge that brought him up 41 spots after finishing six under par by the end of day one. His 66-score finish in the second round also highlighted five birdies and an eagle. 

Smalley also saw a comeback in the second round, scoring five birdies in his last thirteen holes of the day. Like Delgadillo, he finished the first round with a 73 (+1). True freshman Vari Mariscal led the Aggies in the final round pulling a 67 (-5) putting him tied for 67th place after pulling five birdies in the last 15 holes complimented by an eagle.  

Despite strong performances from the players, they still were unable to surpass Iowa State who finished one stroke below them with an 857. The Aggies barely edged out TCU, who finished at par with a three-day score of 864.  

After nearly 100 days without play, the season opener saw the men’s team holding their own against the competition despite a rough start on opening day.  

The Aggies will have a chance to improve their performance at their next tournament on Feb. 19 and 20 at the Border Olympics tournament in Laredo, Texas hosted by the University of Houston.