Education Abroad: a “life-changing” experience

NMSUs+Education+Abroad+department+offers+several+unique+programs+for+students+to+study+in+other+countries.+
Carlos Herrera
NMSU’s Education Abroad department offers several unique programs for students to study in other countries.

“There’s so much more to see than what’s in our backyard.” 

This is the purpose behind New Mexico State University’s Education Abroad department — to encourage students to explore the world. The program allows sophomores and upperclassmen to take different courses for NMSU credit while abroad, learn new languages, and have the opportunity to meet new people and visit new places. 

“Everybody says ‘I’ll do it later’,” said Kari Cena, Education Abroad Program Manager. “No, because life happens, life doesn’t stop. This is that time where you get to be in this transitionary phase and why not take every opportunity?” 

“And we know across the board that students that participate in study abroad programs, by and large, come back changed,” Cena continued. “They come back different, they come back with a broader world perspective, and they come back more confident … with a better idea of what it is they want to do; they have a sense of purpose.” 

Education Abroad hosts a variety of programs for different periods of time. Students have the opportunity to directly enroll in a foreign university for up to a year or go to a school that participates in NMSU’s Student Exchange program. There are also summer programs and faculty-led trips (FLIP) to other countries. And for students who want to travel without leaving the continent, the National Student Exchange allows students to study at universities in states such as Hawaii and Florida. 

Overlooking Edinburgh, Scotland. Photo courtesy of Evelyn Jurado.

“Just do it,” said Bethanie Sanchez, Education Abroad advisor. “We have programs that are as small as two weeks all the way up to a year, so there really is something for everybody. And I say just go out and get the experience. You’re not going to regret it, I’ve never had a student say, ‘That was a disappointment’. They always go back for more.” 

According to staff and returned students, the most frequent reason students give for not wanting to go abroad is the financial aspect. While everyone’s case is different, many NMSU scholarships can help pay for the various programs. And at schools that participate in the Education Abroad exchange program, students can pay NMSU tuition while attending a university across the country or overseas. Additionally, there are several scholarships specifically for traveling abroad which students can apply for. 

“It requires some work and effort on the student’s part but if you’re willing to do that, my guess is you’ll find some funds because the money’s out there,” Cena said. “It’s just a matter of looking. And I think too, that this is one of those experiences where it’s hard to necessarily assign a dollar amount to it. This is one of those experiences that has the ability to be life changing.” 

And this month, students have an extra chance to earn travel funds. On Feb. 26, in celebration of “Study Abroad Day”, students will have the opportunity to win a scholarship to assist in studying abroad for the upcoming academic year. The scholarship is worth $500 and will go toward any program of the student’s choice.

“Do not let the money thing scare you because I’m not rich either,” said NMSU student Evelyn Jurado. “I’m not coming from high-class, middle-class parents. It looks scary and believe me, it is. It’s definitely a high stress situation but high, high reward. It’s definitely worth it.” 

The Cliffs of Moher, Ireland. Photo courtesy of Evelyn Jurado.

Jurado spent the 2022-2023 academic year abroad in France. She faced a number of challenges, from the stress of obtaining her visa, to language barriers and unexpected racism when she arrived in country. Even so, she says there were more than enough good experiences to outweigh the bad, especially in her travels to Switzerland, Spain, England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany and Italy.  

“This forever changed my life,” Jurado said. “It changed the lives of everyone I know who was there with me. All the friends I’ve made, I wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world… It was difficult, but it was like the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done in my entire life. It was awesome. I would do it again, 100%.”