Opinionated Editorial: Being Greek 

Opinionated Editorial: Being Greek 

Salina Madrid, Cultural Editor

After a relaxing summer, college has found its way back to us. With long days, classes, new professors, it is important to get involved. Especially for the entire incoming freshman, starting at a new school is scary; it is like a whole new world full of changes and new responsibilities.

But I have something that will make this transition a lot easier, and that something is Greek Life. College students who take membership in Greek life are equipped with skills that can be used in future careers. It is a rewarding and unique opportunity to interact and become involved with other people who have the same values as you. With that being said, it is finally time for sorority recruitment.

Growing up, I’d see movies and shows about sorority girls and all the stereotypes. Now, I cannot even imagine what my college experience would have been like if I wasn’t introduced to Greek Life.

Two-years-ago, I stood outside the doors of the sororities on campus. As I went through every house over the course of a couple days, I found where I was meant to be, where I was supposed to be. That is when I knew, that Greek Life was something I wanted to be apart of.

Since that very day, I have given and dedicated my heart to Greek life, it has changed my life forever, it is where I, in essence, found my second family.

A lot of people tell me, “you’re just paying for your friends.” If I really am, then I’m not paying enough. These woman, who are my sisters and best friends, hold a very special place in my heart that I wouldn’t change for the world. These past couple years, I have made memories that will last a lifetime.

Greek to me isn’t just about wearing those letters that you cherish so much, but more about sisterhood, lasting friendships, academic support, encouragement, philanthropy, and leadership. Being Greek means that I am never alone and that I will always have a support system. It is about being apart of something bigger than you. It has shaped me as a person, and has pushed me to be a better person every single day.

This is why you should Be Greek. Recruitment week is one that you will remember forever, it is the week that you will gain another family, a home away from home, and friendships that will stay with you till the day you die.

Don’t miss out on a life changing opportunity like this, you won’t regret it.

For more information, or to sign up for sorority recruitment, go to greeklife.nmsu.edu/sorority-recruitment