Corbett Game Room Adds Improvements

Salina Madrid, Cultural Editor

Corbett Center Student Union has added new additions to their renovated game room.

“We’ve added all new acoustical panels just to help with the noise. Those were just added in last week so they are very new and we’re in the process of adding in a sound system so that way we can have music in here, we’re also adding a T.V.,” said Kassie Ckodre, the Corbett Center Student Union Program Specialist.

Only full time students at NMSU are able to access the game room and in order to enter you have to swipe your student ID. This prevents people who don’t attend the university to be allowed in.

“We have really nice brand new equipment, we’re trying to brand it to make it Aggie themed,” Ckodre said. “We just really want to encourage students to come use it. It is here for them, it is another space for them to utilize.”

The game room already gets over 300 students a week and is hoping that more people will start to come.

The games that are available on a daily bases are Ping-Pong, pool, foosball and air hockey. But on one night in particular Corbett hosts a game night.

“This night we add a giant connect four game, a giant Jenga, we also have a giant Pistol Pete cut out so students can take photos. Every month we try and add something new to the event to keep it fun,” Ckodre said. “We really encourage them to come out to the game night to hang out with friends, win some prizes and get some free food.”

This month’s game night will be on Nov. 30 at 7:00 p.m.

Even though the game room is all about fun, there are still rules that students must follow:

1. Bring your valid NMSU Student ID to enter.

2. Swipe your ID to get into the room.

3. Always provide your ID to front desk staff to request a game table and equiptment.

4. If there is a table available, you must read and sign the availability form.

5. Students are allowed a maximum of two hours at each game.

6. When you’re finished with the table, have the equiptment reviewed by the staff. If approved, they will return your ID.

The game room is located on the second floor of the patio in Corbett, and is open Monday through Friday from noon to 11:30 p.m., on Saturday from noon to 9:30 p.m., and on Sunday’s from noon to 11:30 p.m.

“We’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback from students so far. We are listening to our students and we’re giving them what they want,” Ckodre said.

For more information on the game room or to provide feedback for Corbett Center Student Union contact Kassie Ckodre at (575)-646-2582 or email her at [email protected].