6 tips for Dating in College

Jianna Vasquez, Cultural Editor

1. Don’t do it.
Enjoy yourself and have fun because college is a time to find yourself and to become whatever and whoever you want to be, but if you are going to do it here’s a list of five other tips to help you out.

2. Don’t get too serious if you are not ready.
It’s okay if you don’t want to get serious in a relationship. Being in a relationship takes a lot of work on both ends and sometimes you many not want to or you simply may not have the time—and that’s okay.

3. Don’t miss out on opportunities for a significant other
College is time for endless possibilities and opportunities that you may never get again, even more so, opportunities that can help shape your future. If you get a chance to study abroad or take an internship in another city, do it because you never know what else is waiting for you out there.

4. Always be yourself
Dating someone means spending quite a bit of time with them, but just because you two spend a lot of time together doesn’t mean you should lose sight of who you are or what is important to you. Your partner should always accept you for who you are and what you stand for.

5. Experience new things
Dating should be fun and chances are you both don’t like the same things, but that okay because it’s what keeps the relationship interesting. Don’t be afraid to try something new.

6. Above all, stay focused
Juggling classes, homework and a significant other takes a lot of time, but it’s not impossible. Significant others provide an escape from all the responsibilities of school-work, but don’t let them become a distraction! (missing class too often to spend time with them, texting them when you should be paying attention in class or worrying about a fight when you should be worrying about school) School should always come before your partner, but this doesn’t mean you two can’t focus on school together. Don’t forget study sessions are dates too.

Of course, as most students know college is a different experience for everyone so what works for one relationship may not work for another. At the end of the day you decide what works best for you and your partner, there is no right or wrong. Just enjoy your time with each other.