The Time For Collaboration is Now

The Time For Collaboration is Now

Guest Writer

By: Emerson Morrow

It’s no secret that the administration here at New Mexico State University is going to have to make some incredibly difficult budget choices over the next couple years. Decreased enrollment means that less student fee money is coming in than before. This could eventually lead to a severe decline in the both the quantity and the quality of the activities being offered to students on campus. We, as students, cannot allow this to happen.

I believe that the best way to ensure that our college experience, and the experience of future Aggies, is a good one, is to encourage collaboration and teamwork between our student organizations. Specifically, I am calling on the leadership of the main, overarching campus organizations- ASNMSU, Aggie Activities Council, Residence Hall Association, Interfraternity Council, and Panhellenic Council- to meet monthly in the next year. By simply gathering once per month, we can solve scheduling conflicts and work through problems together. By sharing ideas and resources, we will be able to cultivate a more vibrant campus culture, with timing that works for more students.

Imagine what could happen if even a couple of these groups made working together to serve students a priority. AAC and ASNMSU each sponsor several concerts per year. On their own, each group is usually able to bring beginning artists that perhaps some students have heard of. If they pooled their resources, it would ease the financial burden on each group and we would be able to afford some fantastic performers that would draw in current students and potential students alike. Teamwork between these large groups would ensure the success and increased attendance of just about any event from tailgates, to diversity programs and awareness weeks.

An oft-quoted African proverb says, “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” Over the next year, it is crucial that student organizations break down their walls and work collaboratively to serve other students. Let’s start by meeting together. Then, let’s go far.

Emerson Morrow is a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences. He was named the NMSU Leadership Pioneer of the Year in 2015 and is a candidate for ASNMSU Vice President.