Aggies Against Violence

Jianna Vasquez, Cultural Editor

WAVE will host its annual Aggies against violence week April 24 – 26.

The annual event originally started as “Take back the night” which focuses on eliminating sexual violence in all forms. Colleges, Universities, women’s centers and rape-crisis centers around the country sponsor this event.

NMSU’s WAVE has expanded “Take back the night” to a three-day event. These days will be full of events that will aim to educate and bring awareness to the NMSU community about sexual abuse, sexual assault, domestic abuse, domestic assault and other related topics.

“The idea is to take back the ability to feel comfortable, to feel safe and secure in your own community,” said the Program Specialist for WAVE, Meg Long.

According to the National Sexual Violence Resources Center 1 in 4 college women have a chance of becoming a victim of sexual assault.

WAVE wants to raise awareness and let the NMSU community know that sexual violence is an issue that occurs everywhere, even on the NMSU campus.

“When we do the student lifestyle surveys we ask the students if they have ever been sexually assaulted as a student at NMSU, and 6.5 percent of students report that they had,” said Long.

A part from bringing awareness to the community, WAVE also want the community to become educated on sexual assault so they can take action against these issues.

“We want students to start realizing that it’s their place and it’s their responsibility to make sure our community is safe,” said Long. Students can play their part against Violence by staying active, seeing things and saying something or simply sticking up for a friend when situations like this occur.

Aggies against Violence week will include motivational speakers, a photo booth, a screening of documentary that focuses on sexual assault on college campuses, NMSU campus sexual assault and prevention response panel, and will close off on Wednesday with “Take back the night.”

There will be different events so each student can find an activity that will spark their interest.

WAVE not only hopes to raise awareness to the issue, but they also want victims of sexual assault to know that they are not alone, and that there are resources around the community for them to use.

1 Comment

One Response to “Aggies Against Violence”

1. speak766 on April 19th, 2017 2:45 pm

Thank you so much for writing about this. Sexual assault and domestic violence are issues that we tend to shy away from and just ignore, which in turn allows the problem to grow. I have experienced domestic abuse with an ex-boyfriend during graduate school and one of my close friends was raped during college. People need to start talking, because trying to sweep these things under the rug is clearly not working. I am glad to see that some organizations are trying to promote awareness. Thank you so much for posting about this.

[Reply]

• Aggies Against Violence

Letter from the Editor: Thank you, readers

• Aggies Against Violence

New Mexico State vs. New Mexico quick hits

• Aggies Against Violence

Editor's Picks

Corbett Charging Organizations Raises Questions

• Aggies Against Violence

ASNMSU to host first event with alcohol

• Aggies Against Violence

Editor's Picks

Sodexo to Takeover both Closing Convenience Stores

• Aggies Against Violence

Black Friday takes over Thanksgiving traditions, students say

• Aggies Against Violence

Balancing your Thanksgiving Meal

• Aggies Against Violence

Vegetarians Look to Satisfy Their Thanksgiving Appetite in Different Ways

• Aggies Against Violence

‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ to preview on Thursday night

• Aggies Against Violence

No-Shave November Hits the Midway Point

Aggies Against Violence