The Silent Killer: the week before finals

Finals week is the culmination of a semester’s worth of hard work and studying as students are given one last challenge to prove proficiency in their studies. However, the week before finals presents it’s own challenges as students scramble to finish assignments, projects and papers, especially after the long holiday break. This week and next week are the two busiest weeks for students as classes rapidly come to a close and many students are feeling the stress that comes with these final assignments.

“It’s significantly distressing thinking about finals and projects that are due,” stated Andres Galvan. Galvan, a fourth year mechanical engineer, reiterated, stating that “These two weeks define whether you pass or not.” Galvan was working on a presentation with fellow classmates Adrian Hernandez and Adan Martinez when Galvan further added that 45 percent of his grade was dependent on his upcoming assignments and tests.

This situation isn’t unique as it’s common for students to have heavily weighted assignments and projects due before finals week. Despite this, many students are beginning to feel the stress associated with the last full week of classes.

“We have a lot of assignments, projects and test reviews, and it’s so overwhelming,” stated Cecelia Lopez, a second year accounting major. “I think it sucks having a break then coming back to finals reviews,” Lopez added further. In addition to the schoolwork, many students are also stressing and balancing other responsibilities such as jobs and internships.

“It’s just a lot…I’m just trying to balance work and school,” stated Jordan Peña. Peña is a third year Journalism major balancing school and working two different jobs. “ I have a presentation, an essay and an exam due on top of studying for my finals.”

Elizabeth Lopez is a fourth year Sociology major who is also balancing working and going to school. For Lopez, this week was hectic as assignment due dates and work schedules refused to cooperate.

“Well I’m tired because all I did was work…so I have to finish all these assignments and bundle them all up, in one day,” said Lopez. Lopez went on, adding that she felt confident about her efforts. “I feel like I’m more in control; thank god I didn’t procrastinate as much,” stated Lopez.

Despite the stress, a common theme among students was the determination to get through these next two weeks.

“I just think it’s another thing to get through,” stated Adrianna Herrera, a third year business administration major. “I feel like everyone is in the same boat so we get each other,” said Herrera.

Finals week begins next week on Monday, Dec. 4, and ends Friday Dec. 8.