Reviewing ASNMSU campaigning policy

Reviewing ASNMSU campaigning policy

Every semester, students within New Mexico State University make their way to voting booths spread throughout campus to exercise their right to choose the individuals that represent them in the student government.  In other words campaigning for the Spring election cycle has begun.

This time of the semester leads to the excitement of a turning over of power within the Associated Students of New Mexico State University.  However, with the excitement, there is a need for the students of New Mexico State University to be aware of campaign policy that binds the candidates to specific guidelines of engagements. 

As a reminder to the diligent voter, one should be on the lookout for potential campaigning violations.  One such violation to be looking for is campaigning within any university affiliated residential areas.  The residential areas of the University are as follows, the first-year halls, the upper classmen apartment communities, and family housing.

In other words, campaigning within university residential areas is strictly prohibited.  Campaigning in these areas can include, but is not limited to, placement of placards on doors, placement of posters on the walls within a residential area, and door-to-door campaigning.

According to the campaign guidelines, as established by the New Mexico State University Resident Guide of 2017-2018, the Director of Housing and Residential Life must approve all advertising that occurs within the common areas of a University Residential area. 

Another violation voters must be aware of is the placement of chalk outside of various campus buildings.  The policy, as outlined by the Spring 2018 election packets, prohibits the use of permanent chalk.  It also restricts the use of chalk to only concrete areas.  Further, candidates are prohibited to place chalk advertisements within 25 feet of any building entrance.

Finally, voters must be aware of the rules that bind a candidate’s ability to display posters.  Posters may only be displayed on the bulletin boards along the east wall and the north wall of the first floor of the Corbett Center Student Union.  On the second floor of Corbett, posters are restricted to the board on the West end next to the staircase.  Finally, posters are not allowed on the third floor of Corbett. 

With these potential violations being highlighted, it is suggested that the voters should be aware of the actions of the candidates running for office.  The in-depth rules can be found at asnmsu.nmsu.edu under the important dates tab.  Any violations should be reported to the Chief Elections Officer, Nancy Mestre as soon as possible.  With that being said, happy campaigning!