Delta Gamma’s “Hoops for Troops” to raise money for veterans

Courtesy+photo+

Courtesy photo

Teams of three will compete against one another in a basketball tournament this Saturday, February 24, at the Activity Center from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for Delta Gamma’s philanthropy event “Hoops for Troops.”

The fee teams pay to participate and the proceeds from the tournament will go to Joining Forces, an organization that funds research and gives donations to veterans who are visually impaired or blind.

Janea Eberly, Delta Gamma’s Philanthropy Chair, said “we are taking donations and there is a fee for the teams to participate. We are hoping to have at least ten teams competing and at least 30 people coming to watch and support. Anyone can come to support, and it will be a minimum donation of two dollars.”

All full time NMSU students are eligible to put a team together and compete whether they are Greek affiliated or not. Teams can consist of all boys or all girls as well as co-ed. Teams are made up of three students and the winner of the tournament will receive a first-place trophy.

“Last year we had five girl’s teams participate which was really cool. Right now, we have way more guy teams than girls. So, we’re hoping that more ladies will participate,” Molly Olsen, a junior at NMSU and member of the Delta Gamma sorority, said.

Those who would like more information about signing up or have any questions regarding the tournament, Delta Gamma will be tabling at the Corbett Center Student Union all week. Olsen is hoping that the turnout will be just as good and even better than in previous years.

According to Olsen the “Hoops for Troops” event last year raised about $1300. “I hope that we can raise around that much money this year or more because it’s a good cause. We usually wait for another philanthropy to work with Joining Forces, but I think this one will have a bigger impact,” Olsen said.

Eberly reiterated how important the philanthropic work that Gamma Delta does to raise awareness for veterans and current service members who are blind or visually impaired. Raising money that goes towards research and funding for people who may not be able to afford glasses or contacts is imperative to the sorority according to Eberly.

Eberly said “we also send glasses to an organization that sends them to third world countries where they can’t get them as easily.”

Olsen and the other Delta Gamma girls tabling at Corbett added, “If you come, make sure you dressed patriotically it’s kind of themed so, come in red, white and blue!”

Hoops for Troops will commence on February 24, at the James B. Delamater Activity Center starting at 10 a.m. Teams can sign up until Friday and any full time NMSU students are encouraged to participate.