NMSU Cares: Cancer Aid Resource & Education

Salina Madrid, Cultural Editor

As a community, an organization called Cancer Aid Resource and Education is making an impact on patients’ lives by helping them relieve burden, hardship, suffering, devastation and stress.

Yolanda Diaz and Leticia Soto established CARE because there wasn’t an organization in Las Cruces or Dona Ana County to be able to assist cancer patients with their needs.

CARE is the only physical location that any local cancer patient can go to and obtain services for assistance with their diagnosis. And New Mexico State University is on board as well.

NMSU has a charted student organization dedicated to CARE and their goal is to offer cancer education and resources to the universities faculty, staff and students.

“Just knowing that we are able to help somebody financially, emotionally and physically, seeing that they can smile for a day, and knowing that we can help them relieve some stress is so rewarding,” said Soto.

The organization hosts many events to raise money for the cause. One of their most successful events is called Hot Legs.

“This is a great event that a lot of people come out for and shows that we cannot do this alone. Contestants for the Hot Legs competition come forward and participate in this event to raise money because they are competing for a cause greater than a trophy,” said Diaz

This event raises money to benefit local cancer patients. This fundraising event consists of brave men, who compete to raise money to support the fight against cancer. There are 3 competitive categories plus the overall winner, who raises the most money and will be named “Mucho Macho Hot Legs King.”

“This past year we raised over $10,000 for the Hot Legs Competition. All that money goes to different areas to benefit whatever the cancer patient needs. It could be to help them get to their treatments, pay for their treatments, it could be to help with,” said Diaz.

NMSU is excited to promote student recruitment for this organization and retention in cancer research.

“We started the organization CARE on July, 21, 2013 and to this day we have provided almost $87,000 of assistance. We are only a small organization and the more we grow, the more assistance we will provide,” said Diaz.

For more information on the organization CARE and all their events, log on to their website at http://carelascruces.org or call (575) 680-5922 or (575) 649-0598.