NMSU Career Services holds employment fair

Students+talk+with+recruiters+from+businesses+and+organizations%0A+looking+to+hire+NMSU+students.+

Students talk with recruiters from businesses and organizations looking to hire NMSU students.

Many students at New Mexico State University attended the Student Employment Fair in hopes to find jobs on- or off-campus in the Aggie Lounge of Corbett Center on Wednesday. NMSU Career Services hosted the event.

NMSU Career Advising Coordinator, Marcia Salinas-Milam from NMSU Career Services said her office provided a check in booth as well as an informational booth for the approximately 500 students who attended the fair.

The Career Services Program was “advising students and giving them a handout in regards to all the employers that were [there] looking to hire students for either work study or regular student employment,” Salinas-Milam said.

Salinas-Milam said that both on and off campus employers were present at the Student Employment Fair.

“We had two types of employers, we had campus departments and off campus employers who are part of our regular student employment partnership,” Salinas-Milam said.

“Definitely one of the pros is that we had a great student turnout, a lot of students were ready with their resumes,” Salinas-Milam said.

Although the Student Employment Fair is a face-to-face event, students are still highly encouraged to apply online with Aggie Career Manager.

“One of the cons is continually getting all students to log in, register, and create an account with Aggie Career Manager, which is our online career portal database management system so that students are able to apply online,” Salinas-Milam said.

Joshua Trinidad, a junior studying digital filmmaking at NMSU, explained that he went to the Student Employment Fair to try and find an on-campus job that correlates to his major and “degree pathway.”

Trinidad said that he was able to stop by the KRWG-TV booth and was happy that the fair had something that goes along with his degree pathway.

Trinidad said that he had a great experience at the employment fair and that everything went smoothly.

“Career services helped me out and made me feel like NMSU is really looking out for their students,” Trinidad said.

Trinidad explained that he saw posters “all around campus” about the student employment fair that caught his attention and led him to go check it out in between classes.

Trinidad explained that he found this fair very helpful and really “opened his eyes” about the programs offered here at NMSU.

“There are opportunities out there and you have to go and seek them. It’s all in what you do and what you make of it,” Trinidad concluded.

Salinas Milam explained that although this fair was very successful there are still improvements to be made for future employment fairs at New Mexico State University.

“Moving forward, next year, we understand that students may have class from the hours of 11am-1pm when our fair was hosted, so were looking at extending that time so that we can reach a broader range of students,” Salinas-Milam said.