Corbett Center to become alternate early voting location

Corbett Center will be a voting center aimed toward registered student voters.

The Associated Students of New Mexico State University are calling all Aggies to cast their ballot for the upcoming general election, and they’re making it easier for students by bringing the voting to Corbett Center. 

Corbett Center will serve as an alternate early voting location in which students and the Dona Ana community will be able to vote beginning Oct. 20 through Nov. 3.   

The Dona Ana County Clerk’s office decided to make Corbett center an alternate early voting location because they saw an opportunity to increase voting within the university. 

“It increases the time in which students can vote,” Lindsey Bachman, Chief Deputy Clerk of Dona Ana County, said. “This would allow them to understand the process of voting based on their registrations sooner, whether that be voting via absentee or voting in person at Corbett.” 

Corbett center will also be a Voting Convenience Center on Nov. 6. 

In order to get students ready for voting, however, ASNMSU will be hosting an on-campus event for National Voting Registration Day, Sept 25.  

ASNMSU President Emerson Morrow said students will be able to register on campus as well as attend tabling events at the Engineering Complex and Gerald Thomas Hall. There, students can meet with student organizations including College Republicans, College Democrats and the Libertarian and Green Party student organizations.  

“Students can find out about all the political parties but you can also register to vote on site,” Morrow said. “It’s meant to be a fun event where you can learn about who you want to vote for and register to vote.” 

Morrow said ASNMSU plans to assist students throughout the voting process. He said he and his organization plan on helping students get registered to vote, update their registration, or request an absentee ballot for students who prefer to stay registered in their home state.  

“The important thing here is voting, no matter where you’re voting, if it’s here in New Mexico or in your home town. That’s fine, but students need to make their voices heard,” Morrow said.  

Though NMSU has been a polling place on Election Day for a number of years, Bachman said making Corbett Center an alternative early voting location would benefit students.  

“It’s really important that students engage with any opportunity that they have in order to meet candidates, engage with issues,” Bachman said. 

The last day to register to vote is Oct. 9. The Doña Ana Community will also begin voting the same day, but the voting location will be limited to the Doña Ana Government Center. Morrow said student representatives will also be there to assist students.  

Additionally, ASNMSU president said NMSU has been designated an ‘All In’ campus, in partner with Civic Nation, meaning the university will participate in a challenge to get the most students to vote. The University of New Mexico is also participating in this challenge.  

Not only that, but students will be given the opportunity to help their peers vote as well. 

The Dona Ana County Clerk’s Office will be hosting a voter registration agent training which will include an explanation for absentee applications on Aug 29 in Breland Hall, room 179. 

“I believe that democracy functions best when everyone is engaging in the process and so I really encourage students to feel like it’s a process that is unfamiliar to them to really research and get involved so that we have a government that truly serves all of our best interests of the community” Bachman said.