Three new senators are elected to College of Arts and Sciences

Allysa Tellez

More stories from Allysa Tellez

Students at New Mexico State University raised their opinions amidst the recent impeachment inquiry brought forth by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Students at the Arts and Sciences Council elected three new senators to represent New Mexico State University’s College of Arts and Sciences on Tuesday.

The second meeting of the semester took place at 5:30 p.m. at the Hardman-Jacobs Undergraduate Learning Center.

Five students were nominated for the senator position but only three were selected. Among those that won the nomination were Dustin Chavez, Haylee Murray, and Laura Laemmie.

Dustin Chavez is a returning student from NMSU. He recently graduated from the College of Business, but has returned to pursue a degree in biochemistry. He has served as president of ASNMSU from 2015 to 2016, but said he would also like to represent constituents in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“It’s the best job on campus,” Chavez said. “You get to advocate for students and help students get where they’re going.”

Chavez also served on the Student Advocacy Board and once he graduated, he took a congressional fellowship. While away, he said he realized he wanted to pursue a different career and attend medical school post-graduation.

Haylee Murray is also a returning student from NMSU. She is pursuing a second degree from the College of Arts and Sciences in anthropology. She served on Senate from 2015 to 2017.

She decided to run for Senate because she said she “might as well go for it.”

Murray said she believes she can do well as Senator because she already has the experience working in Senate and on special committees at NMSU.

The only non-returning student to represent the College of Arts and Sciences is Laura Laemmie. Laemmie is double-majoring in economics and anthropology.

Although she does not have experience working in Senate, she said she has familiarized herself with the ASNMSU law book, and because of her experience in her major, she understands money allocation and will use those skills while drafting bills for the college.

Laemmie said she is self-motivated and is ready to allot her time to the demands of student government.

“It’s simply something I want to be involved in,” Laemmie said.

ASNMSU president Emerson Morrow was also present at Tuesday’s meeting on behalf of the College of Democrats. He advocated for the three students.

“Dustin has nothing to gain from this,” Morrow said. “He’s here because he wants to be.”

Morrow also said he supports Murray because after working with her in Senate, she was compassionate and caring for students.

Morrow also spoke fondly of Laemmie.

“I think she would make a really great addition,” Morrow said. “I think she proved that tonight with her preparation.”

The three students will need to be approved by the Dean of Arts and Sciences before they begin representing their constituents.