NMSU administation attempts to move forward in letter to faculty and staff

NMSU+chancellor+Dan+Arvizu+is+confident+the+recent+budgetary+shortfall+can+be+a+way+more+the+school+to+better+manage+its+resources.+
NMSU chancellor Dan Arvizu is confident the recent budgetary shortfall can be a way more the school to better manage its resources.

In the wake of recent events, New Mexico State University Chancellor Dan Arvizu and President John Floros sent out a formal letter Monday afternoon to NMSU faculty and staff, assuring them that the administration has confidence that expenses and budgets will be managed better in the future.

“We’re sure many across campus have seen or heard news of our $3.3 million budget deficit due to changes in our scholarship awarding practices,” Arvizu began the letter with. “We want to assure everyone, that while we recognize this is a serious issue, we are confident we can bridge this gap by better managing our expenses, keeping our administrative costs at the levels they have been historically, and looking for process improvements this fiscal year, all without a negative impact on our students.”

The $3.3 million budget deficit came with a bit of controversy. The NMSU Board of Regents claimed that they were unaware of the full financial impact of a scholarship program that was spearheaded by former chancellor Garrey Carruthers that would eventually swell to now a projected $5.3 million and not the $2 million that had previously disclosed up until last week’s announcement.

Carruthers responded to the Board’s claims with a statement that was signed off by himself, former Provost Dan Howard and former Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Bernadette Montoya that the Regents knew as far back as July 2017 of how costly such a program would be.

Hicks responded to the letter via email and reiterated that the former chancellor “continues his misrepresentation of the facts.”

The reality of the situation is that NMSU is now in a $3.3 million and faculty and staff members were concerned of a potential hiring freeze or across the board cuts.

Arvizu did not rule out the possibility of across the board cuts or a hiring freeze going forward, but rather focused on the progress being made across the system.

“There is still much more needed when it comes to enrollment – our primary revenue source as an institution. With our new organizational structure, and a keener focus on student success and retention, we believe we can make substantive progress by next fall.

NMSU ranked 126 in top public schools, tied for 132 in undergraduate engineering programs and tied for 199 undergraduate business programs in a recently-released 2019 National Universities rankings and Arvizu acknowledged what that means for the University.

“Today, U.S. News and World Report reaffirmed that New Mexico State University remains one of the best universities in the country,” Arvizu said. “We have kept this status for the past several years because of the efforts of each and every member of our faculty and staff.  It’s no secret that it is your continued personal commitment and dedication that keeps us in such high regard.

“While NMSU is comprised of a complex set of departments and missions, we are confident that together, we can not only overcome the immediate challenges—we can also move the University forward to seize the many opportunities that are within our collective reach.”

Derek Gonzales, Editor-in-Chief

Derek E. Gonzales enters his third year as an employee of the New Mexico State University Round Up and first as the Editor-in-Chief. The homegrown product played prep basketball at Oñate High School and has held a variety of positions in athletics. As a freshman, Gonzales worked inside the NMSU Athletic Department as a Marketing Intern. His duties included setting up advertisements, tabling events, cold calls to potential ticket buyers, and even included doing part-time public address announcing for volleyball (including 2016 WAC Volleyball Tournament) and men’s basketball.

As a writer, Gonzales has become a prominent collegiate sports reporter in the state of New Mexico. Gonzales covered the 2016 NCAA Tournament in Tulsa, Okla. as No. 14 NMSU took on No. 3 Baylor. A year later, Gonzales returned to the Big Dance, covering the No. 12 Aggies against the Clemson Tigers in San Diego.

A men’s basketball article written by Gonzales was tweeted out by CBS Sports’ Dennis Dobbs during the Aggies conference championship run. The Las Cruces native wrote a highly-controversial opinion piece on former Aggie head coach Paul Weir, who left NMSU for in-state rival New Mexico, upsetting much of the fan-base. The article gained attention statewide and Gonzales subjected himself to criticism because of its honesty, cementing himself as a credible sportswriter in New Mexico. 

Covering college football, Gonzales became the first sportswriter since 1960 to cover New Mexico State in both an NCAA Tournament and bowl game within the same calendar year, as he was on hand to witness the Aggies end their 57-year bowl drought in the 2017 NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl against Utah State. 

Gonzales has also been published in The Louisiana Advocate for his game recap of the 2016 Louisiana-NMSU football game. On top of working at The Round Up, Gonzales also works as the Sports Freelancer for the Las Cruces Sun-News. In two full academic years at the Sun-News, Gonzales has written over 75 articles, covering NMSU athletics and Las Cruces preps. 

Gonzales aspires to be a sports writer or a sports information director upon graduation in May 2019.