ASNMSU holds voter registration event on campus

ASNMSU+hosted+several+events+in+honor+of+National+Voter+Registration+Day+on+Tuesday+in+preparation+for+the+upcoming+November+elections.+

ASNMSU hosted several events in honor of National Voter Registration Day on Tuesday in preparation for the upcoming November elections.

The Associated Students of New Mexico State University celebrated National Voter Registration Day on Tuesday Sept. 25. The organization hosted a tabling event entitled NMSU Votes in order to get students registered to vote.

Booths were scattered around campus including inside and outside Corbett Center Student Union, Engineering Complex Bldg III, Gerald Thomas Hall, Piñon Hall and Rhodes Garrett-Hamiel Hall. The event lasted from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Several organizations were present on campus including New Mexico State University College Democrats, College Republicans, Federation of Democratic Women of Doña Ana County and the League of Women Voters.

President of ASNMSU, Emerson Morrow, said he would like to see every eligible student on campus to get registered to vote, and said it’s important for events like this to take place because not only can students get registered to vote, they can also meet the people they may want to vote for.

Morrow said he thinks students feel more motivated in getting involved with voting.

“I think that over the last couple years, young people especially have woken up and they understand that they just can’t sit these elections out,” Morrow said.

Morrow said he and his organization have implemented some “unconventional” tactics to try and get students to vote, including a vote goat. The vote goat is a live goat. Named Yeti, he served as a mascot to draw students’ attention. The group also gave out popsicles and created a snapchat filter to commemorate the holiday.

Several candidates were also present to ask questions from students and campaign.

State Senator Howie Morales and Democratic candidate for Lieutenant Governor was one of the candidates present at the event. He met and spoke with students about his candidacy.

“Shaking hands, talking to individually with people who are potential voters. I think it’s important because we’re participating in a national movement,” Morales said.

Morales said students’ votes have more impact than they might realize.

“Their voice can change the tide of what’s been taking place—that’s unfortunately put more burden on our students, rather than provide more support,” Morales said.

Morales believes everyone should take advantage of voting opportunities.

“Have your voice heard, make sure you’re going to get people elected to office who are going to represent the values of each on of them,” Morales said.

Second Congressional District Candidate and Republican member of the New Mexico House of Representatives, Yvette Herrell was also at the event. She was inside Corbett Center speaking to students.

Samantha Garza was one of the students representing the College of Democrats. She said she arrived at 11 a.m. but did not have much success registering voters. By around noon, however, she started “getting people from lunch rush.”

Garza said it’s important that students are educated about different candidates.

“It’s such a crazy time in the political atmosphere. There’s so much going on as far as polarization,” Garza said. “I think it’s important for democrats and young democrats to get involved and to understand who they’re voting for.”

Garza said people need to be educated on more than governor and senate seats. It’s also important to know about local positions.

“People really don’t know what county commissioners do or what sheriffs do, but that’s going to be on the ballot,” Garza said.

Ever Vidana, Chair of the University of College Republicans, said he’s seen a lot of students who want to get involved because of what has been going on between the “left and the right.”

“We want to get them involved so they have a say, and don’t have an excuse that they’re not registered to vote,” Vidana said.

Vidana said it’s also important that students hear from people who my have different views than they do.

“I think that when we have the College of Republicans and the College of Democrats both active on campus, so students who are on the left or the right side, have a voice,” Vidana said. “They’re not as quiet about it because they know there’s a group that fits in with their personal point of view.”

Vidana said that when it comes to voting, it’s ultimately up to the voter, despite any party affiliation.

“Don’t let your teachers tell you how to vote, your friends tell you how to vote, your parents tell you how to vote. Vote how you believe.”

Morrow estimates the number of voters registered to vote is well over 100 students.

Registration for voting will be open until Oct. 9.

Midterm elections will be held Nov. 6.