NMSU honors Carol Dyer with Roberts Memorial Staff Award 

Carol Dyer, NMSU Chemical Engineering Department. Photo Courtesy of NMSU.

In a world that is at a lack of kindness and compassion, it is important to recognize those who are still unapologetically illustrating traits of benevolence and always being a helping hand. 

Recently, on Oct. 25, Carol Dyer, a Chemical and Materials Engineering Department Administrative Assistant, was awarded the Stephen W. and Robert E. Roberts Memorial Staff Award. This is an annual award given to a staff member at New Mexico State University acknowledging their dedicated and outstanding service to the campus.  

The selection process of this award is drafted off various characteristics and criteria. To be an eligible recipient, one must be non-faculty status and not a member of either Administrative Council or Academic Dean’s Council and have five or more consecutive years of service with NMSU.  

Wanted traits for nominees and recipients include: being a highly motivated person who is a self-starter, a person who exhibits dedication to the university, someone who will remain at the university after receiving the award and serve to influence others through behavior that exemplifies sincerity, motivation, and dedication and a person who not only performs a specific job, but who serves the university and community as a responsible citizen. 

The award was established in 1983 and has since then been given annually. The New Mexico State University Employee Council has the responsibility of making the final selection of the recipient for this award. Nominations can be presented by faculty, staff, administration and students of the university. 

“I can’t believe I won that award, honestly,” Dyer said. “Not in a million years did I think they would pick little me.”  

Dyer is an alumna of the university, beginning her journey at NMSU as a student in 1982. 

“I love it here,” she said. “It’s the people that helped me then that inspires me to want to help everyone else now.” 

Her fist career opportunity with the university was in 2003 where she worked in Facilities and Services. She has worked with the university for the last 15 years. Dyer moved to the Chemical and Mechanical Engineering department in July of 2010, where she is currently acting as an administrative assistant. Her role within the department stretches further than everyday office work and extends to a more critical role as being an advocate for students and staff. She is known throughout the department as “the mom of engineering.”  

“It’s the people here that makes me love NMSU – it’s the faculty, students, just everyone. I mean, that’s what keeps me going,” Dyer said.