NMSU Dean of Students departs from university, leaving vacancy

NMSU+Dean+of+Students+Michael+Jasek+departed+for+Connecticut+earlier+this+month.+

NMSU Dean of Students Michael Jasek departed for Connecticut earlier this month.

Big shoes are yet to be filled after Michael Jasek stepped down from his role as New Mexico State University’s Dean of Students earlier this month. Jasek, admired and well-liked among students, began his service to the Aggie community in August of 2012.

With Aggie students as his priority, Jasek made it clear he wouldn’t hesitate to attempt the impossible if it meant helping out a student at NMSU. In an era of “the wall,” Jasek worked to ensure all students of the university knew they were at a safe place.

“One of the things I am really going to miss the most is making sure this office was a safe place for undocumented students,” Jasek said. “They could come here and talk truly about what their issues were and their concerns and be able to help them with those issues.”

In addition to guaranteeing a safe environment for NMSU students, Jasek also advocated for a fun one.

“When I first came to NMSU, I saw that we have no tradition,” Jasek said.

Since then, Jasek has brought tradition to the university by establishing events such as the Crimson Kick-Off, First Year Walk and most recently, Aggie Stampede.

“Establishing some of those annual events, things for the students to get involved in and participate in so they begin to feel like they are part of this community,” Jasek said.

Although his absence is noted, there has yet to be a be a drastic change in direction and support for students. Vice president, Renay Scott and Associate Dean of Students, Will Waller, have partnered together to ensure students are not left without assistance.

“Dr. Scott has taken over his meeting duties and I along with Jeff Ferguson, Assistant Dean, have taken over the regular responsibilities,” Waller said. “Nothing has really changed as far as if students need things.”

Jasek continues to communicate with fellow deans on campus and leaders of the university to inform them how he wanted to help NMSU.

It has not been said to who will replace Jasek, but NMSU is beginning to take the first steps towards the replacement process.

“NMSU will be launching a national search for the next Dean of Students. In the interim, the Office of the Dean of Students is well staffed with wonderful professionals who are committed to serving students,” Dr. Scott said. “Will Waller has been very helpful to me as we together

attempt to pick up the responsibilities of the Dean of Students position during the search process.”

To whoever does become Jasek’s replacement, he leaves them with selfless advice.

“Always remember, you’re doing this for the students. If you get frustrated with the job, walk around and look at the students,” Jasek said. “That will remind you why you’re here. It’s not for administration– it’s always, always doing what is right for the students.”

Jasek said he leaves knowing the university is headed in the right direction.

“I truly believe that this administration is the right administration for the time period the university is in right now,”Jasek said. “He is the right president for the students and I think Arvizu will do the same for the system, which is great.”