Dublin’s abruptly closes after denying speculation

The+front+of+Dublin%27s+as+of+Tuesday+morning.+Open+since+2008%2C+Dublin%27s+was+a+popular+place+for+NMSU+students+during+the+weekend.+

The front of Dublin's as of Tuesday morning. Open since 2008, Dublin's was a popular place for NMSU students during the weekend.

CLARIFICATION: The auctioning due to take place Saturday, February 9 is for the selling of items inside the building, not the building itself. 

It turns out it was not just a rumor or a brilliant marketing ploy.

Dublin’s Street Pub has closed.

The abrupt closing that employees were not aware of implies that the owners were in on what was happening until after closing Saturday night and chose to not give the public or the staff the information they needed until the very end.

The Round Up made multiple over-the-phone and in-person attempts to Dublin’s Street Pub to get a confirmation, one way or another, on the rumors that were swirling in the community that they would be closing their doors either this past weekend or this upcoming weekend.

Managers would not give The Round Up the owners’ contact information or any information at all, appearing out of the loop. Calls were never returned and it was a Facebook post by the restaurant last Friday that shut down the rumors, saying their were open Tuesday-Saturday from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m., their normal hours. 

The restaurant will now be held up for auction on February 9 at 10 a.m. at the restaurant, and more information about this can be found on www.webjam2.com/auctionsunlimited. 

A Facebook post by Las Crucen Robert Trujillo showed a screenshot from an unspecified Dublin’s manager which stated, “Hey there guys, I just wanted you to know that at 2 a.m., after our shift was over last night at Dublin’s the owners came in and shocked all of us by telling us Dublin’s in closed effective immediately, due to them selling the building. We were pretty blindsided by the whole thing. I know this really sucks for all of us, but I really appreciate all the time you have spent at Dublin’s, and if you need a reference for any future gigs or endeavors, please do not hesistate to put down my name and number. Love you dudes.”

Rumors are now swirling about who might take over the building next and Burger King and Weck’s restaurants are names that have been thrown around. Regardless, the university’s water hole since 2008 is now gone. 

Derek Gonzales, Editor-in-Chief

Derek E. Gonzales enters his third year as an employee of the New Mexico State University Round Up and first as the Editor-in-Chief. The homegrown product...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Dublin’s abruptly closes after denying speculation”

1. Lori English on February 5th, 2019 9:02 am

Thank you to the City Counselors for costing us another business. And you wonder why people are flocking out of the City!!! When a pub located across from a University can’t survive, that should be a sign that you are doing something wrong. A thriving business wouldn’t close! YOUR TAXES ARE KILLING BUSINESS & THE PEOPLE!!!

2. Former alum on February 5th, 2019 3:25 pm

I’m embarrassed to say that all I got out of reading this story was that the NMSU journalism department’s students are still failing to grasp how to correctly use grammar and spelling.

3. anon on February 6th, 2019 10:39 am

It has nothing to do with taxes or the city counselors. From what I understand the owners are older and trying to downsize their burdon. They sold the building to another restaurant and the liquor license will be auctioned off at some point separately. I don’t think the employees deserved what happened but from a business standpoint they were looking out for themselves, they didn’t want to tell their staff until the last moment because they didn’t want to lose them early.

4. Kathy Wortham on February 6th, 2019 3:57 pm

Last year Dublin’s went from being a full service restaurant to a minimal menu and drinks. You can’t survive on just drinks and frozen food entrees.

• Dublin’s abruptly closes after denying speculation

Weck’s officially announces restaurant in Las Cruces

Features

Seeing red in Sun City: Trump’s first rally ahead of 2020 election puts national spotlight on borderland

Beto O’Rourke leads rival march against the president in El Paso

Trump holds rally in El Paso amidst Mexican border clash

Features

Two sides in El Paso: President Trump’s rally vs. Beto O’Rourke’s march

Electric scooters returned to NMSU after dispute

Northern New Mexico’s ‘Weck’s’ restaurant looks to be front-runner to replace Dublin’s

Minimum wage bills puts some NMSU departments at risk for cuts

Opening night of Pete’s Patio draws rave reviews and large crowd: Video

Dublin’s rumored to close; owners nowhere to be found