Aggie softball falls to Sooners again, beat Campbell

Derek Gonzales, Staff Writer

IMG_5151.JPG

Photo by Derek Gonzales.

The New Mexico State softball team went into Saturday with a 6-1 record, after falling to the Oklahoma Sooners in the first day of the Troy Cox Classic at the New Mexico State Softball Complex, while being run-ruled in the process.

Today’s rematch showed yet again just how warranted Oklahoma’s ranking as 14th in the nation (The Associated Press) and 10th (coaches’ poll) is.

The Aggies, playing in front of a crowd of 607, which is a top-20 all-time crowd at the New Mexico State Softball Complex, were unable to get their offense off the ground for much of the game, as the closest they got to scoring through the first three innings was second base, on two separate occasions.

The Sooners were able to strike first, much like they did the night before, with the scoring beginning in the second inning. Senior Makayla McAdams gave off two quick hits in just four pitches as the Sooners were able to get the bats going, getting two players on base with no outs to show for it.

The home team also suffered through two separate errors, including one that would have turned a double play and stopped the bleeding at just one run. Instead, McAdams was able to get out of an impressive bases-full, full-count situation by getting a fly out, ending the inning with three runs.

NM State did not have nearly as much success with their own bats, as they had to work hard for their moderate success, with just one runner getting to third base—in the second inning—to show for it at the fifth inning stretch. T

The sixth inning proved to be the back-breaker for the Aggies as they allowed eight hits and five runs in the frame of play. The Aggies were effectively run ruled by the Sooners, 8-0.

The second game started 30 minutes later against Campbell University, and the Aggies were a completely different team. The bats were alive from the get-go, as NMSU spotted freshman pitcher Kayla Green with three runs in the first inning and four more in the second.

Campbell starting pitcher Courtney Roberts got roughed up in only 1.1 innings pitched, allowing five runs on five hits. After relieving Roberts, Campbell decided to use a plethora of different pitchers to try to slow the Aggie offense, but it was too late for the Fighting Camels. An off night for Campbell pitchers and an Aggie offense that was looking to get back on track after not scoring in an 8-0 defeat against Oklahoma was just the perfect storm for Troy Cox Classic host.

NMSU gave up a run in the top of the fourth, but answered right back with two of their own to extend their lead to 10-1, with an Alexis Maynez groundout that scored Haley Nakamura, and a single from Kennedy Johnson. Kayla Green came back out in the fifth inning and put Campbell away, and her stat line for the game included just one earned run in five innings, throwing an efficient 69 pitches while helping the Aggies improve to 7-2 on the year.

The Aggies will close out the Troy Cox Classic on Sunday with two games against Creighton and Western Michigan, at nine and 11:30 a.m. at the New Mexico State Softball Complex.

Sports Editor Albert Luna contributed to this report.

Make sure to follow Round Up Sports on Twitter at : @RoundUp_Sports