UNM, NMSU Greek organizations face-off in food drive competition

Santana Ochoa

Students drop off donations at Aggie Cupboard for “I-25 Food Drive”

“The Battle of I-25” or “Rio Grande Rivalry” is the famous name behind the football game between NMSU and UNM, however this year it will be replaced by a food drive competition between the two university’s Greek Life organizations 

NMSU has done a food drive competition before with UTEP, but this is the first time NMSU is competing with UNM. 

Students in the Greek Life have been able to collect food since the start of October,  but this week is the official collection week. 

All items are to be delivered to our different fraternity and sorority housing,” said Abby Howard, coordinator of Fraternity & Sorority Life at NMSU. 

On FridayOct. 16the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council VPs of Community Service will collect all the donations to be counted. 

I will then take the total to Chris Brooks [the UNM Fraternity and Sorority Life Advisorand he will share his community’s total. The winning university’s FSL community will have bragging rights for the next year and the other university’s FSL governing council officers will have to wear the spirited apparel of the winning university,” Howard said. 

Howard said her and Brooks have wanted to do something to connect the two communities. 

After he found out about the Rivalry Week the ASUNM and ASNMSU were working on, he figured this would be the perfect starting point to connect our students,” Howard said. 

We are hoping this event goes over well and is able to have a positive impact on both communities. Chris and I are excited to see our students doing good for fellow New Mexicans,” Howard said. 

All non-perishable foods are accepted as well as toiletries and reusable grocery bags. The Aggie Cupboard will be disinfecting all items as they arrive. 

Items suggested by Aggie Cupboard include canned chicken, tuna, fruit, mixed vegetables, diced tomatoes, cereal, granola bars, peanut butter, pasta, lentils, beans, soup, brown rice, toiletries and reusable grocery bags. 

Program Specialist of Social Services & Aggie Cupboard Megan Long said, “since all of the food we distributed is donated it is necessary for the community to be supporting us. 

Long said donations are always welcome and that food drives with a competition are always more successful. 

People really like competition, so whenever there’s any type of competition, whether it is between different schools or between different departments, it is always really successfulIt makes it fun as well as helping people,” Long said.  

Long said she is happy to know that more people in New Mexico will be receiving help because of this food drive. 

I’m excited to be starting it because we’ve been doing a food drive with UTEP for the past several years, so its nice that now we’ll also have New Mexico options as well, Long said. 

A total of 14 Fraternity and Sorority Life organizations are participating in the Food Pantry.