BREAKING: NMSU to hold limited in-person graduation

NMSUs+football+stadium+will+host+the+Spring+2021+commencement.+

Santana Ochoa

NMSU’s football stadium will host the Spring 2021 commencement.

In an email Tuesday morning from Renay Scott, vice president for student success, New Mexico State University announced that an in-person virtual commencement will be available to commemorate 2021 graduates.

“Following productive discussions and guidance from the New Mexico Higher Education Department and the New Mexico Department of Health, we are pleased to announce that we have been given approval to hold a limited in-person commencement event,” the email reads.

Several commencement ceremonies will take place at Aggie Memorial Stadium May 14 and May 15 with limited seating.

“In-person commencement will take place for our Las Cruces campus graduates at Aggie Memorial Stadium, in multiple sessions to accommodate the need for social distancing and limited capacity,” the email reads. “The first ceremony, for graduate students, will include a doctoral hooding ceremony and will take place at 7 p.m. Friday, May 14. The second ceremony, for undergraduates, will take place at 7 p.m. Saturday, May 15.

Each student interested will be given two guest tickets, with masks and social distancing required for graduates, volunteers and guests. The ceremony will be live-streamed for additional viewers.

The virtual celebration will remain at its currently scheduled time at 10 a.m. May 15.

Scott said the class of 2020 can also look forward to upcoming events.

“We know that many of our 2020 graduates who participated in our virtual commencement ceremonies are eager to participate in an in-person celebration, as well. We are planning a special event later this year for those graduates, and we will share more about those plans as they take shape,” Scott said.

According to the email, details continue to be finalized and will be released to the NMSU community as information becomes available.